Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"potentially Unwanted"....prcviewer

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 1Bart

1Bart

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 20 December 2006 - 01:05 AM

Hello Folks!!

McAfee on-line free scan found a "potentially unwanted" item. Called PrcViewer located C:\SDFile\Apps\Process.exe

McAfee did not remove it.....I don't even know if its on-line scan does such. But, is it dangerous, a tracking cookie, a false positive, should it be removed and how so.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 20 December 2006 - 05:12 AM

Check this article

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,584 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 09:20 AM

Certain files are detected by some antivirus programs as a "RiskTool", "Hacking tool, or "Potentially unwanted tool". Process.exe is not a virus, but a program used to stop system processes. Anti-virus programs cannot distinguish between "good" and "malicious" use of such programs, therefore they may alert the user. Potentially unwanted does not necessarily mean the file is malware or a bad program. It means it has the potential for being misused by others.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 1Bart

1Bart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 10:25 AM

Thanks a GIG folks!!!!!!

Couldn't get to the 1st 2 links in fozzies link but the 3rd seems to be the path if removal ect. was to be performed. This could be something/anything like "active X" controls from MS. I traced it and checked the "Properties" in an effort to find the author/originator---to no avail.

Would just like to know where I downloaded it from i.e. What company made it ect. Sounds like a "virus scan" program component...I do try several independent scanners......

I DO feel that it is NOT a bonafide virus though.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,584 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 10:58 AM

Did you have a malware problem where you used any specialized fix tools like smitfraudfix, SmitRem or SDFix? If so, process.exe is included in each one of them.

#6 1Bart

1Bart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 06:41 PM

Mr quietman7!!!!!!

YOU most certainly have hit the nail on the head....As I had indicated, I try many scans and have come to realize that SOME are "specialized fix tools" which I am not trying to use. I believe I did try SDFix and them realized that it was not what I had wanted. Say opposed to Windows Live One Care and Bit-Defender.....
TY

#7 AndyManchesta

AndyManchesta

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2006 - 06:59 PM

Hi 1Bart

Just noticed this topic by chance :thumbsup: SDFix is my tool and isnt a general remover, it was made for specific backdoor infections which are listed Here. I agree that it's not something most home users would ever need and when it is used it should really be on a forum environment with supervised help.

The process killer used in my tool is from BeyondLogic.org and isnt a threat but it could be if it was added to the system by malware as it would then have the ability to stop any process it wants, for my tool its only used if malware is hooking to explorer.exe which would mean its also running in Safe Mode, if that is the case the process killer is used to stop the malware file before the repairs are started. If you havent done so already please delete the C:\SDFix folder and the SDFix.exe file from your desktop (or location you saved it to) to prevent more alerts.

Hope that helps and all the best for 2007 :flowers:

Andy

#8 1Bart

1Bart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2006 - 07:11 PM

Hello AndyManchesta!!!

I should "happen on" some lottery tix the way you did here...lol Many thanks for your experienced advice. I thought SDFix and its contents was for "A" specific purpose and should be deleted...but I hesitated. Your input convinced me and so it is!!!!

Thank again a whole lot and Happy Holidays to you!!!!!

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,584 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2006 - 09:38 PM

Hello Andy and welcome to BC.

We appreciate you taking the time to provide your personal input with regards to SDFix. Especially since you are so busy trying to keep it updated as new variants arise.

Thanks for all the hard work you do.
QM7

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users