Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Red Alert 2

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 locally pwned

locally pwned

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 20 December 2006 - 12:45 AM

So I have played RA2 off and on for several years (lately, more off than on). It's fun, it's relatively simple, easy to learn yet enough depth to make it fun even after playing it for a while.

But it's a nightmare to network!

First off, even though it was released in 2000, it only has support for IPX...no TCP/IP. So networking it at lans is problematic at best; you have to keep messing with the IPX settings to get each machine to see each other. When 3 of 4 see the host, but not that last machine, then you mess with settings...have someone else host...changes settings again...apply duct tape, styrofoam, and string...and finally, you just might get to play.

Hours after the lan has started, of course.

I assume the lack of TCP/IP support was to keep folks from hosting their own games online. Apparently a CD key and online account isn't enough...Westwood wanted control of all online games. If that's how they want to do it, well, I wouldn't complain if it actually worked.

Usually what happens is this: when the host launches the game, not all the players will sync and it times out. Or, if you are lucky enough to connect and start the game, someone crashes to windows.

Another bonus: two players, networked behind a router, can't play on Westwood servers, even though they both paid for CD keys. Without TCP/IP support, there's only one incoming IP...so both can't play. Nice.

Great game. When it works...which is about 35% of the time, on a good day, down hill, and with a tail wind. So many people have dismissed it simply because it is just too much work to get going. Like I say, the game itself is a lot of fun...too bad they had to ruin it with crappy code and the irrational lack of TCP/IP support. I think EA/Westwood should give us a all a Christmas present...a patch that adds TCP/IP support into RA2 and TS (and while they are at it, how about patches for C&C and RA1 that allow them to play on an NT OS).
"The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking." - Albert Einstein

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands." - Douglas Adams

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 20 December 2006 - 08:11 AM

I thought that a lot of this was addressed when they released "the first decade" that had a lot of games in it, and I thought it had RA2 in there (I'm at work and can't get to "game" sites to verify this).

TBH, I'm not suprised that there's limited or no support for this game, as it's really old as far as games are concerned.

I'm humbly awaiting the release of CnC 3! :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#3 Xtr3me

Xtr3me

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 30 December 2006 - 02:32 PM

I cant help you with any online issues as I have no idea about it.
But, I do know about what the game is tracked on.

If you wish to play a certain person, use this:

http://www.hamachi.cc

All you do is make sure your friend downloads it too, and you make a server, he then connects and your on the same LAN, go in game, and make sure thats set to your default LAN in game. You will then be able to play eachother completely free of charge with no lagg, depending on your connections of course :thumbsup:

By the way, Hamachi is safe, easy to use and 100% Free with no ads or anything. Enjoy :flowers:
Posted Image
Currently Studying: HTML
Coming Soon for me: Flash Website Designing

#4 locally pwned

locally pwned
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 02 January 2007 - 05:22 PM

Xtr3me, that actually sounds like a very interesting program. Have you used it much?
"The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking." - Albert Einstein

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands." - Douglas Adams

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users