Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Re-install Removed / Un-installed Program From To Computer.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nat

nat

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 19 December 2006 - 09:48 PM

Hi.

Since switching to LAN, I seem to have lost quite a few programs, such as Symantec Antivirus. Starting up Windows, a message is displayed as installing microsoft.... and when I click on a tab, the same message appears, so I have to contimually click Cancel. When attempting to re install Symantec using the Windows installer 3.1, I am confronted with :

Symantec Antivirus please wait while windows configures etc....

then dialoge box :

The program...is on a network resource that is unavailable
Click Ok to try again or enter alternate path to folder containing installation package "symantec antivirus.msi.

Use Source \\server\Software\Norton Anti-Virus\Norton Anti-Virus Corp 9\ or click to browse

The proxy server is refusing connections

Firefox is configured to use a proxy server that is refusing connections.

* Check the proxy settings to make sure that they are correct.

* Contact your network administrator to make sure the proxy server is
working.

I have search all over for the said .msi extension, but have failed miserably.

Why can't they help more with providing info on how to locate this alternate path to the folder, for all who are like me??

It also check the proxy settings, but......................ya, sorry to have to ask, but how or where do I find the file/program that lists all proxies. I guess that also applies to such things as finding and configuring HTTP, TCP/IP and basically all of that kind of "stuff" !!

Info: Symantec Antivirus : Full version 9.0.0.338
Windows XP Pro V. 2002
Service Pack 2

If any more info is required, shout!

Hope you can help..??!!
Thanks

So this tells me that something fairly major has gone wrong with XP windoes Pro.

XP Professional FIrefox 3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 20 December 2006 - 11:12 AM

Please describe the network before you changed the card (business or home, how many computers, routers, switches, hubs, modems, etc).

Was the card the only thing that was changed? Did you use a proxy server previously? Have you tried disabling the proxy server in Firefox?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 nat

nat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 12:36 PM

Hi again. You are such a star for replying to my posts!

Ok, when you say "changed cards", ...??

Basically, my computer is my home computer. So no other routers, switches, hubs or modems. (i have to admit that I have no idea what switches or hubs are!)

PLease explain what you mean by changing card??

As for previously using a proxy server, I am 98.99% sure that I wasn't.

And if so, how would I disable the proxy server in Firefox? I click on Tools / Options, but the options are very limited compared to IE.

I'm sorry to be such a pain in the ***. I used to be reasonably accomplished, but somehow I seem to have aged faster than the ever evolving world wide web...and I'm only 36!!!

I am in the process of running http://safety.live.com as you suggested from the other post. I clicked on http://www.file.net/process/system32.dll.html

but it seems that only the bottom half of the web page loaded. I've tried it in IE and Moz. The web page starts with the following that I scrolled down the page to find... (I'm probably being very stupid here, but apart from the suggestion by the web site to download Security Task Manager..., I fail to see any other options. HELP!!!!

How to remove system32 error

The free file information forum can help you find out if system32.dll is a virus, trojan, spyware, adware which you can remove, or a file belonging to a Windows system or an application you can trust.

system32.dll file information

Ok, safety.live has finished and there are no problems. ( I ran a full on-line Norton Virus Scan last night which must have taken about 1hr! and that also came up clean) It would seem that my system is "so called clean" but, I just don'y think so.

Do you want me to run HJT or Smitfraud or whatever to give you more usefull information that I seem to lack?

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 12:58 PM

"Since switching to LAN," is where I drew the switching cards thing. I'm interested in the structure of your network before and after the switch. This may be that you went from dialup to a LAN - but being on a LAN implies that you have a device (such as a router, switch, or hub) that directs the traffic on the LAN.

So, I'll assume that you've switched from dialup to a network of only one computer. And that that computer connects directly to your cable modem. If I'm wrong, please let me know!

As for the proxy in Firefox (I'm using Firefox 2.0) - go to the Tools menu and select Options. Then click on the Advanced button, then on the Network tab and then on the Settings button. If there are numbers written in the different boxes - make a copy of them for later. Then select "Direct connection to the internet", then click on OK to exit. You may have to restart Firefox for the changes to take effect.

Then, let us know if that has helped the issue.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 nat

nat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 05:09 PM

Hey, how you doing.

Ok, well, I have switched from dial-up to ADSL and I now have a router, and yes, that is connected to my original dial up ISP who I am still with. And yes, right again, it is the one and only computer.

I checked the network tab, and it wasn't configured to any proxies. It is however set to "auto detect proxy setting for this network". If you think I should change it to "direct connection" , let me know.

So what are your thoughts about the system32.dll nightmare??

Since you live in the USA, and me in South Africa, we are on completly different time zones. I'm a bit of an insomniac so I guess our hours must cross somewhere.

Hear from you soon...

#6 nat

nat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 05:11 PM

Hey, how you doing.

Ok, well, I have switched from dial-up to ADSL and I now have a router, and yes, that is connected to my original dial up ISP who I am still with. And yes, right again, it is the one and only computer.

I checked the network tab, and it wasn't configured to any proxies. It is however set to "auto detect proxy setting for this network". If you think I should change it to "direct connection" , let me know.

So what are your thoughts about the system32.dll nightmare??

Since you live in the USA, and me in South Africa, we are on completly different time zones. I'm a bit of an insomniac so I guess our hours must cross somewhere.

Hear from you soon...

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2006 - 07:17 AM

Try the direct connection - I'm unsure of how things work in South Africa (I only know one person there and she's on dial-up) so it may not work. But it's worth a try. You can always reset it to auto-detect a proxy if you need to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users