Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lite Computer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 19 December 2006 - 09:31 PM

http://www.informationweek.com/showArticle...cleID=196700914

Ready To Demo: A $150 Laptop With A 'Complete Computing Experience'

The laptop avoids the use of Microsoft software and name brand PC processors such as Intel and AMD.

By W. David Gardner
InformationWeek

Dec 19, 2006 02:43 PM

An Atlanta company is cobbling together diverse software and hardware building blocks to create a $150 laptop computer that promises its users a common computing experience and avoids Microsoft software and name-brand PC processors like Intel and AMD.

Called the "LiteComputer" by Lite Appliances, most of the pieces of the laptop have been developed and the firm hopes user models can be ready by mid-2007.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2006 - 10:37 PM

It's about time. I've always thought about this being done. It's finally about time. This would be something I'd invest $150+ into as far as a laptop is concerned. If it works for 1 year without major issues, I'd say everyone will get their monies worth.

Too many people are too dependent on the "name brands" on just about everything. Trying to keep up with the Jones'. Not me.. as long as it does what it's suppose to do, I'm with it, and I'm happy.

I hope this ordeal goes through. And if it's NOT going to be dependent upon Micr0$oft, then chances are, they won't fall for the 'ole, "let us buy you" out scheme.

I guess money will change minds, and time will tell if this company sticks with their initial goal. Other than that, I hope they have a successful venture.

#3 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 20 December 2006 - 08:57 PM

I'm in... I love this. I am guessing they would run something like Linux for an operating system or something resembling it...

This could be fun for students that only want to do some word processing and little things like that...

I love this idea... Keep me posted

#4 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 09:16 PM

I'm in... I love this. I am guessing they would run something like Linux for an operating system or something resembling it...

This could be fun for students that only want to do some word processing and little things like that...

I love this idea... Keep me posted

I'm a brand new Linux user myself.. just a couple of weeks into it with my new os.

But think about it like this. What is the difference to someone who has never ever used a computer before.... then challenged to use MS or even Unix/Linux systems?... My answer?.. nothing.

Windows is easier, because it's easier to trap you into doing harm to your computer. Whereas the Unix/Linux is designed to help you learn about computers and the programs that involve them. And at the same time, helping you to protect yourself from security breaches, which I must admit...... MS lacks very dearly.

Even on my Windows system, I use less and less MS programs on them. And my computers are running like a new toy. I made a promise to myself that I was going to learn Unix/Linux and break away from MS and it's products... and so far, it's paying off. I have less problems now with my computers.

#5 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 20 December 2006 - 09:21 PM

Less problems and more money in the back :thumbsup:

Microsoft is so darn expensive... Windows XP ~ 120$ Linux FREE Microsoft office ~ 300$ OpenOffice FREE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users