Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Connection" problems after Hijack cleaning

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 darlen88

darlen88

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 29 December 2004 - 04:20 AM

Moving the topic from Hijackthislog section, as that seems to be solved now.

We got rid of the spyware or whatever was bringing internet pop ups, links and default homepage, though the process of getting rid of it has left the system with connection problems.

Norton IS and antivirus auto-protect can not activate.
Windows Update can not update, error nr. 0x80072EFD.
Launchpad of online gaming is unable to connect to the Network.
Iexplorer brings often the "could not find server or DNS entry" screen.

I scanned/repaired windows files, no error found.

I followed the suggestions on the Windows site for Windows update:http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;836941 , checked everything but method nr. 5, Internet option/Tools/security/trusted sites does not let me customize the set up.

So, the system continues with the same problems, I seem able to access internet and go on irc, -by now- (have been kicked out of everything twice by now) but can not start any other application that requires connection (Norton IS, Windows Update, online game launchpad) - Network error.

Regards and thanks again for the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2004 - 09:17 AM

Went and looked at your HiJack thread and you still have some problems.

You need to remove all the entries in your trusted sites. Go to Start>Contol Panel>Internet options and try it from there.

Go to Panda Active Scan and do the online scan. It will often pick up on viruses that other AV's miss.

You may be able to solve your connection problems with LSPFix.exe. Some spyware will cause winsock problems.

BTW if you EVER go on the internet with XP and no firewall, you will be re-infected within minutes. Suggest you check with your online gaming site how to accomplish this. Do they have a forum?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 darlen88

darlen88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2004 - 09:51 AM

Thanks Leurgy!

I can not touch anything on trusted sites (internet options) but default settings (low, medium-low, medium-high, high).

I have tried to access the link to Panda antivirus, but as it happens with other webpages, I can not see if I am really downloading anything or not (don't think so), all of a sudden images disappear and later can not load the page.
Once I reached the error text, Quote:
"Possible causes of this error are:
Not allowing the application's ActiveX control to be downloaded.
Problems with the Internet connection.
Other causes (consult the FAQs)."

Is there a manual download?

I have run lspfix.exe, did not find anything or make any changes.
keep list:

mswsock.dll Tcpip
winrnr.dll NTDS
rsvpsp.dll (Protocol handler)

...Checking about the forum.

Edited by darlen88, 29 December 2004 - 10:09 AM.

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2004 - 11:29 AM

These errors indicate spyware, at least to me. Have you already used AdAware and Spybot? If not, do that now. Many spyware/viruses will lock you out of sites like these so you may not have any luck.

You could try running avast! 4 Home Free Edition. The download is at the bottom of that page. You can also try AVG Free Edition if you are able to download them. Panda free trial is here.

When you try any of these, if you can get them, set Norton to NOT start automatically on boot and reboot. Be aware that one of these may find viruses in the Norton Quarantine and that is normal.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 darlen88

darlen88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2004 - 04:03 PM

Hello Leurgy,

I had used Ad-aware, but not spybot. Installed it (which took six intents of download from different sites, my right button option did not seem to work either) and it inmunized 1147 or something like. Scanning found 45 or so, 7 of them not cookies, related to roings, alexa and DSO exploit.

The cleaning upset the last connection to internet I had holding, only irc was left to go online. I decided to format the puter, thing that sadly I am becoming good at doing.

Well, good or not so good, as now that I've installed counted things (windows update, Norton, Ad-aware, Firefox and Spybot) it found 5 files related to DSO exploit :thumbsup: . The good news is that I fixed them and seem to be here still.

During the next days I'll post a hijack log and keep checking about launching the online game (Planetside) with Firewall on. As I do not have much idea about the router etc, might post for some help.

Thanks all for the help, this is a great site.

#6 Bear

Bear

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2004 - 04:47 PM

Well, good or not so good, as now that I've installed counted things (windows update, Norton, Ad-aware, Firefox and Spybot) it found 5 files related to DSO exploit  . The good news is that I fixed them and seem to be here still.

Please click HERE for the DSO exploit fix. :thumbsup:

Posted Image

My System Specs

Comptia A+, Network + & MCP certified.

#7 darlen88

darlen88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2004 - 08:59 AM

Congratulations! No immediate threats were found :thumbsup: . Ty

Edited by darlen88, 30 December 2004 - 08:59 AM.

#8 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 30 December 2004 - 02:15 PM

Have we had you try lsp-fix yet at all?

#9 Bear

Bear

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2004 - 07:05 PM

Congratulations! No immediate threats were found :flowers: . Ty

Your welcome :thumbsup:
Posted Image

My System Specs

Comptia A+, Network + & MCP certified.

#10 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2004 - 07:13 PM

I'd like to say your welcome also so I can shamelessly bump up my post count.

:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users