Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Install Trouble With Professional/media Edition

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 CPT_Russell

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 19 December 2006 - 08:09 PM

so i just built a new computer and i tried installing my OS which is the 2005 version of Windows XP Pro/Media Center...

i keep getting this "cyclic redundancy error" and so i went on windows website and they said to run chkdsk /r so i did and it said it found and repaired 1 error.. but i keep getting the same error plus it's saying that there some syntax error in the manifest or policy.... and then it gives this huge string of a file name or somthin... (i am running chkdsk again right now so i cant get the exact string... post in a bit) i tlkd to one of my friends from that works fer microsoft and he says that media center is really finicky about graphics cards and stuff and that if i installed like 98 or something that it should work fine... while the guys on the website are tellin me to go buy a new hard drive cuz the one i have is prlly broken?...

any suggestions or fixes?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 20 December 2006 - 05:17 AM

It's true that XP MCE has very tight requirements regarding compatible hardware and device drivers, that's why Microsoft originally only sold it pre-installed on a new and fully compatible PC. Even now it's not available through usual retail channels off the shelf, only as an OEM copy for skilled system builders.

However, you wouldn't need to drop down to anything as old as Win98 to avoid such compatibility issues. The ordinary Windows XP Home or Pro Editions are every bit as tolerant of hundreds of different devices and drivers as Windows 98 was in it's day. I'm running an XP Home system with the same sound-card, graphics card and scanner that I used to run with Win98 -- admittedly I had to get updated drivers from the net but the point is I can still use them with XP.

The MCE version however is not so easy. because 90% of MCE systems are pre-installed from new and it's not available off the shelf like XP Home, so there's no incentive to write updated drivers for the few people like you who've done the upgrade themselves at home.

Finally, check your RAM. CRC errors can stem from mis-matched or incompatible RAM modules.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users