Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ie Propeties Kicking Me Out

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 nat

nat

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 19 December 2006 - 07:30 PM

Hi All.

I am encountering the following problems within XP Prof :

IE Properties. / Connections Tab.

These is no option to click on any boxes, except for set new . I am using LAN, and this tab is where I should be able to confugure internet connection. All but the Setup boxes are all greyed out.

IE Properties/Advanced Tab.

Although all the boxes are active and not reyed out, I am totally unable to click on any box to enable or disable. Basicall, cannot click to place tick mark in the box.If I click on the box, it simply highlights the words.

This is no doubt a very dumb question, but where do I locate such things as Proxies, HTTP, TCIP etc etc.. I am thinking that they might be under the connectios tab.

Here's hoping that someone can solve all this for me.

Many thanks

XP Professional FIrefox 3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 19 December 2006 - 08:07 PM

Start > Settings > Network Connections > Double click Local Area Connection. You should find what you need there.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#3 nat

nat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2006 - 08:14 PM

Believe me, I have been through every option that I can think of. I am unable to set Proxies, HTTL, TCIP's etc etc.

#4 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2006 - 08:18 PM

Believe me, I have been through every option that I can think of. I am unable to set Proxies, HTTL, TCIP's etc etc.

Do you mean HTTP and TCP/IP? Are you the administrator of this PC?

Get Your Donor Card

#5 nat

nat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2006 - 09:46 PM

Yes I am !! It's my home computer, so I am both the user and the adminstrator. And yes to all the HTTP TCP/IP Etc.

Can you help?

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 20 December 2006 - 08:42 AM

The first step in most troubleshooting is to check for malware. Here's a link to a free, online scan: http://safety.live.com
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 nat

nat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 10:25 AM

Hi and thanks for your response. However, I run several anti spyware, malware etc. I have Symantec antivirus (although I seem to have removed part of the programme. It's in my programme files, but when I try to use it, it tells me that the the server is

I also have Ad-Adware, AVG, Super AntiSpyware, CCleaner, ALF-Cleaner along with HJT, RootkitRevealer, Smitfraud, Killbox, Combofix, and I think thast's about it!! So, as you can see, I keep my computer well updated and free of all nasty intrusions.

However, despite all of these defences, I seem more than apt to mess up my computer by uninstalling what shouldn't be and altogether making a complete hash of my more system. What I would really like to know is are all "system32.dll" and other system extensions trojans or whatever. In my C\Windows, I have literally around 87 files or so, all of them start with $NTUninstallKB.............$

Here's hoping you can shed some light on considerable lack of computer knowledge!

Many thanks.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 20 December 2006 - 11:05 AM

Not a problem. First tho', since there's "issues" with your Norton - I would really recommend doing the free, online scan ( http://safety.live.com ). In the event that something nasty did get on your computer - it would first try to prevent programs from detecting it. I have found this problem quite frequently with McAfee products, and it does occur with the Norton stuff also.

It depends on the location for the file. See this link: http://www.file.net/process/system32.dll.html

From reading it, it's possible that the system32.dll file is a trojan - despite all of your protection. Once again, I'd advise that you run the scan mentioned above.

There is a likelihood that the scan will refuse to work - and if so, that's additional evidence that this is malware.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 07:03 PM

$NTUninstallKB... are the uninstall feature of each Windows Update. They are harmless.

Get Your Donor Card

#10 nat

nat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 07:49 PM

Thank You !! I have been waiting for that answer, and thankfully I now don't have to worry about them!

Thanks
Nat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users