Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Freshly Built Computer Won't Fully Boot Up

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Nubli

Nubli

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 19 December 2006 - 07:16 PM

EDIT: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/75770/new-computer-w-internet-woes/

Over the past few months I've been slowly gathering parts to assemble for my first self-built PC. Today I got the last of what I needed and made sure everything seemed to be plugged in correctly and in it's correct place. However I did not expect things to go smoothly off the bat, and that's why I'm here now.

I plug in the power cord and the green motherboard light comes on, good so far. I then turn the computer on and the fans all start up (all four; motherboard, heatsink, video card, case fan) and things seem fine for roughly two seconds when the heatsink fan quiets down and I get this loud, repeated beeping noise. It beeps for about 2 seconds with 3-4 seconds of quiet in between beeps, and keeps doing it until I shut the computer off.

I'm thinking it's a hard drive issue, but I could be wrong. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Specs:
Asus A8E-N socket 939 64bit
nVidia GeForce 7900 GS
Some hard drive I could care less about, but still works
Emprex 18x DVD/CD R+/- & RW+/-

If you need any other information feel free to ask.

Edited by Nubli, 20 December 2006 - 06:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 19 December 2006 - 08:38 PM

Here is a list of "Beep Codes". See if this helps. Try reseating all you cards and memory.

Beep Code
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Nubli

Nubli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 04:22 AM

Turned out to be a RAM issue, resolved it quickly. Right now I'm formatting a small hard drive to plug in and boot from the Windows XP install cd and see if I can't get everything running from there. As it is I'm surprised it started up well at all.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 05:06 AM

Good deal.

#5 Nubli

Nubli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 05:48 AM

Well so far I'm stonewalled. I've inserted the Win XP disc and set the boot priority to CDROM first, but it seems to skip that and goes straight to the hard drive boot, where I get the error, 'NTLDR is missing, press Ctrl + Alt + Del to restart'. I removed the hard drive from the boot list and now I get the error message, 'DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER'. So I'm thinking it's either not reading the disc, I either have the wrong disc, or it's not recognizing the disc drive as the CDROM boot priority.

This could be a long night...

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 06:20 AM

Here is a Microsoft Knowledge Base article that may help.

#7 Nubli

Nubli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 07:26 AM

Well I've charged through everything and some late night sleepy blunders and am now running Win XP home on my new computer! Now to get the internet connection set up properly as I can't seem to find my Comcast CD's or create my own high-speed/LAN connection through the Wizard :thumbsup:

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 20 December 2006 - 09:39 AM

If it's cable internet - open up IE and see what you get. Also, you may want to ping the Comcast server to see if you're connected (I dunno what their address is - try pinging www.comcast.net)

If it doesn't work, call Comcast support and give them the new MAC address for the system - it could be that they just don't recognize your new hardware.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 Nubli

Nubli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 06:06 PM

New internet problem can be found here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/75770/new-computer-w-internet-woes/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users