Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power Supply Fried

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 zoie

zoie

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 29 December 2004 - 04:12 AM

Can any one here tell me what the chances are that the rest of my computer will be okay or not. System was not running when this happened. Changing the space where computer was kept thought switch on back of computer was off still not sure if was everything happened so fast. It was plugged in to a APC surge protector but that didn't seem to help. Plugged in cord to back of tower saw puff of smoke and pulled cord out. It sounded like only thing that started was the fan in the power supply unit. Got any ideas.
Thank You!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LoLucky

LoLucky

• Members
  • 331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 29 December 2004 - 08:10 AM

not currentlly fully awake yet but IMO
puff of smoke = not good :thumbsup:

#3 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2004 - 09:23 AM

Motherboard damage can result from what you describe. I've seen it work both ways. You'll have to put in a power supply and assess the damage from there. Suggest you get at least a 350W power supply.

More info on your computer would help.

Edited by Leurgy, 29 December 2004 - 09:24 AM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#4 LoLucky

LoLucky

• Members
  • 331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 29 December 2004 - 11:18 AM

Yes i have seen many cases of puff of smoke but did you a get a smell as well?
also if there is a black/brown residue on the back (Not dust).. Use a cloth of some sort and cover your mouth and nose, and keep pets/small children away from the computer.

Was the puff immediate? if you did smell something did it smell like
a fire
a camp fire (Is different than fire)
burning hair
burning plastic?

Which one(s)?

How dense was this smoke? did it permeate or dissipate?

Was there any pop or fizzle?
is your Processor by chance an AMD?

like Leurgy said need more info

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2004 - 11:51 AM

Only way I see to go with this is to swap out the power supply and try to boot. Power Supplies are inexpensive, less than $50.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users