Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Pro Questions

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 robsamui

robsamui

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 19 December 2006 - 05:02 PM

Hi.

I just bought a used laptop with XP Pro on it. I have several questions...

1 - How can I tell what (if any) service pack is installed?

2 - Which is the service pack that should be avoided as it is full of security holes on the Internet?

3 - Which is the best service pack to find and install to overcome this?

4 - There's no reference to Windows Firewall in the control panel, but it DOES appear as a function of my internet dial-up connection. Does the firewall exist? Where is it - and is it any good?

Thanks in advance - I'm new to XP!

Rob

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 19 December 2006 - 05:20 PM

Right click My Computer and select properties to see your current version. It should say either Version 2002 (no service pack), SP1, or SP2. If you have anything but SP2, go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and keep going through it until it says you have no more critical updates to install (you should probably do this anyway even if you do have SP2).

Edited by arcman, 19 December 2006 - 05:20 PM.

Posted Image

#3 mattalan

mattalan

• Banned
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 19 December 2006 - 05:58 PM

1 - How can I tell what (if any) service pack is installed?
start > right click on my computer > click propeties > at the top it will Say Windows XP Pro (or home) SP1 or SP2
2 - Which is the service pack that should be avoided as it is full of security holes on the Internet?
SP2

3 - Which is the best service pack to find and install to overcome this? Dont understand the wuestion

4 - There's no reference to Windows Firewall in the control panel, but it DOES appear as a function of my internet dial-up connection. Does the firewall exist? Where is it - and is it any good? download a free one off the net. Yet Windows does have one it only prevents info comming in not being sent out.

NOTE : If its a new laptop you should be ok.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users