Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Pc And Hourglass

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ramsey76

ramsey76

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 19 December 2006 - 03:49 PM

A couple of months ago I purchased a new PC for the kids for internet access.

The PC has a 200 GB drive and 1 MB of ram.

Besides the anti virus and anti spy programs there is very little software. The drive is 95 % empty.

The problem is that almost everthing I do gets an hourglass. I check windows task manager and I get 5 to 10 % utilization.

If I try to get web access and get a hour glass and then eventually nothing.

There are no virus or spyware. The defrag program run daily. I cleaned out the temp files and cookies.

I ran the microsoft safety.live program with no problem on one of the rare times I got internet access.

Any idea why a PC what free capacity can not access the web and requires an hourglasss for everything.

I get an indicator that the PC is connected to my network.

Thanks

Thanks

Tom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 19 December 2006 - 03:59 PM

Do some trouble shooting. Stop all your security programs from loading at startup including firewall other than Windows firewall. Make sure Windows firewall is enabled and then run the computer to see if there is any change. You said you defrag every day. If that wasn't a typo I would suggest that you not do that. Defragging is seldom necessary except after adding a few programs. Excessive defragging can damage your OS.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 ramsey76

ramsey76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2006 - 04:59 PM

Thanks

No mistype on the defrag, I use diskkepper for a daily defrag. I guess I should stop that,

It looks like the my webroot spysweeper program was causing my problem. I eliminated this program from startup and the pc is much faster with web access. I will delete the webroot program and re load it.

Thanks

Tom

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 19 December 2006 - 06:23 PM

More than likely it will still slow you down after reinstalling. The program just covers too many bases. Spybot Search and Destroy with teatimer activated along with Spyware Blaster will guard your computer about as well as Spysweeper and not cause you any problems. You could just use Spysweeper for occassional scanning and not let run at startup.
Happy Holidays to you and yours!
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 19 December 2006 - 06:46 PM

diskeeper will not, I repeat will not harm your windows installation!!

I would suggest that you use the set it and forget it options and do NO manual defragmentation of your hard drive. If your version of diskeeper is capable of smart scheduling, use that option.

I have been using diskeeper since 1995, on everything from stand alone workstations to networks running the diskeeper admin version, with NO ill effects to any windows installation.

when you use spysweeper, under options TURN OFF the scan for rootkit option.

Also, I would like to know what anti virus and version you are using

Thanks , and a Merry Christmas to you.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#6 ramsey76

ramsey76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2006 - 07:57 PM

Because I check my work email from home my Company requries that every PC that access the email system remotely use Symantec Corporate Edition Anti Virus ( 10. somrthing) . This software is provided by my employer.

#7 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2006 - 08:38 PM

Thanks.

There should be no problems with the comporate edition, just make sure that it is not trying to contact a update server provided by the company. this can cause the issues that you are having if not configured correctly.

Check with your companies it department to ensure that the updates are set up correctly.

Edited by oldf@rt, 19 December 2006 - 08:43 PM.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 20 December 2006 - 09:27 AM

While the Webroot SpySweeper will take some resources, I prefer it to the TeaTimer because of the issues that TeaTimer has (a google for "tea timer issues" will show a lot of them)

For a free solution, I prefer Windows Defender - although in Vista it has become a bit over-zealous in it's protection.

Edited by usasma, 20 December 2006 - 09:28 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 12:29 PM

Thanks USAMA, I also prefer the Spysweeper real time protection over teatimer. However I have had no problems on the machine that I run the teatimer on.

Edited by oldf@rt, 20 December 2006 - 12:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users