Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

backup software

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 domarl118

domarl118

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 29 December 2004 - 01:49 AM

I'm a newbie, and I'm not sure where to post this, so I can use some help. I'm looking for some software, preferably free, to back up data on my pc to a disk or disks. A friend told me that Norton has software that costs about $50. Can you help?
Thanks,
Don

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nmdamgud

nmdamgud

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2004 - 01:55 AM

i get to do a special welcome, cuz don's an online friend of mine! i know you guys will take great care of him, and recommend only the best...he's in great hands.

hey, don!

welcome! welcome! welcome! :cool: welcome! :flowers: welcome! welcome! :spam: welcome! welcome! welcome! B) welcome! :trumpet: welcome! welcome! :thumbsup: welcome! welcome! welcome! :) welcome! :inlove: welcome! welcome! :cool: welcome! welcome! welcome! :P welcome! :cool: welcome! welcome! :spam:

:)

damgud

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2004 - 03:04 AM

If your computer came with a CD burner, chances are there is software already installed; if you installed it yourself, the hardware should have had a disk with software on it.
The two most common pre-installed programs are EX CD Creator, or Nero; you might check your program folder for these before pursuing other choices. You can also check for the freeware thread here at BP to see if someone recommends something different.
Cheers,
John

See the thread and related comments:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

Edited by jgweed, 29 December 2004 - 03:28 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 29 December 2004 - 12:24 PM

Welcome to BC domarl118,

If you are using XP Pro or 2000 you may already have a free backup utility. See this part of the BC tutorial, Guide to Windows XP Recovery Features:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tut...l58.html#backup

If you are using XP Home, it may not have been installed. See this article for further information:
http://windows.about.com/library/weekly/aa010617a.htm

You can do a quick check of whether or not it is installed by doing this:

1. START>My Computer>RIGHT click local disk (hard drive) icon and choose Properties.

2. Click the Tool tab and see if the backup utility is there. If not or it is grayed out you will need to install it.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#5 domarl118

domarl118
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2004 - 09:44 PM

re backup software... should have mentioned that i have a windows 98 second edition, no cd burner installed. does it look like i need to buy some software?

#6 Notorious

Notorious

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2004 - 06:30 AM

should have mentioned that i have a windows 98 second edition, no cd burner installed.  does it look like i need to buy some software?

Hi domarl..

Not software but you'll have to buy or borrow CD rom unit. Easiest would be to look if one of your friends have external writter/burner. You can than connect to printer port (or USB port) on your putter. There is small chance that you'll have to download drivers for unit you have ( most of the drivers are installed already on your machine). If not, you can d/l drivers here
Once that is done, do what Papakid already said and you should be able to do backup.
However, internal CD rom is prefered for obvious reason. I'm surprised your computer doesn't have one..
If you need assistance with install, let us know.. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

Down in the bayou, Bubba called an attorney and asked, "Is it true they're suin' the cigarette companies for causing people to get cancer?
"Sure is Bubba. But why you asking?"
"Cause what I want to know is, I was thinking, can I sue Budweiser for all them ugly women I've slept with?"

#7 domarl118

domarl118
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2004 - 03:20 PM

sorry, i didn't make that clear. i do have a cd rom on the pc, just don't have software for burning cd's, so now what do i need...?
thanks,
domarl

#8 Notorious

Notorious

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2004 - 03:49 PM

Well as jgweed already said, if your machine came with CD burner you'll have the software installed already. If not, you can try Easy CD Creator or Nero..
Posted Image

Down in the bayou, Bubba called an attorney and asked, "Is it true they're suin' the cigarette companies for causing people to get cancer?
"Sure is Bubba. But why you asking?"
"Cause what I want to know is, I was thinking, can I sue Budweiser for all them ugly women I've slept with?"

#9 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,649 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2004 - 04:43 PM

Did some googling. 98 should have a backup utility also:
http://www.microsoft.com/Windows98/usingwi...foundation4.asp

For some detailed info on Disk management, see also this page--more details on running the backup utility if you scroll down a wys:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documen...rt2/wrkc10.mspx

If you have a CD burner you should also have the software to run it. Are you saying you've never burned a CD yet? What happens when you try? The CD software Notorious mentions is expensive and I'm not sure if there is any freeware alternative (haven't really looked yet). But you don't even have to use CD's.

You can save the backups on floppy disks, a tape drive, or another computer on your network.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#10 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2004 - 01:10 AM

A good freeware program for burning is:

DeepBurner
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#11 domarl118

domarl118
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2005 - 03:34 PM

ok, thanks tg1911, i downloaded deepburner, but i have a question. it seems like deepburner wants me to back up individual files, but i'd like to back up, for example, my documents, my pictures and email stuff... address book, saved messages, pictures, etc. do you have any suggestons?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users