Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Any One Ever Seen Files Like These?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 19 December 2006 - 02:55 PM

I'm guessing that this card was bad. I told the owner to try reformating it and see if he could still save images to it (compact flash card), it was for his camera.

I've never seen files like it, and he has no clue where they came from, as he's never seen them before either, and the card itself is only used for the camera.

The last thumbnail that didn't show up said it as "truncated", and couldn't open or move it. The others I had to copy to another folder elsewhere in order to view them.

I was just curious if any one else has ever seen this happen to file names, as I've never seen files be automatically named this before.

I posted here because I figured that Windows XP made the folders and named them (I don't think his camera model creates folders).

Posted Image

Edited by stevealmighty, 19 December 2006 - 03:03 PM.

War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 20 December 2006 - 05:28 AM

A wild guess, is there Allzip on the computer?

#3 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 07:16 AM

Nope, never heard of it! I've never seen files like this before, and I've seen a lot of bad sd cards (probably 25 or so). It's very weird, and I was just wondering if anyone else has seen these before! :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 20 December 2006 - 08:51 AM

Are the contents for each folder the same?

I expect that it's a file operation that's gone awry - the truncated thing seems to mean that the entire file isn't there (could it be that the card was yanked from the system while it was still writing?)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 09:40 AM

Are the contents for each folder the same?

I expect that it's a file operation that's gone awry - the truncated thing seems to mean that the entire file isn't there (could it be that the card was yanked from the system while it was still writing?)

It won't let me open the folders...tells me that there's an error opening the file (I don't believe it gave me an exact reason).

I'm thinking what you're thinking....that they either pulled the card to early, or that they removed it from the computer without stopping it. Most typically, there's only 1 or 2 folders made by the camera itself...not a few dozen!

Oh well, like I said, I had never seen folders like this before (all identical with all identical crazy font names), and was wondering if perhaps some one else had seen them before and knew exactly what had caused this to happen!

Thanks everyone! :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,947 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 21 December 2006 - 12:47 AM

Couldn't be AlZip. That program creates folders with bird names, which these manifestly are not. Additionally, they would not be limited to folders for pictures.
----------
Looking at those file names makes me think there is a language translation problem somewhere. I can think of a couple possibilities:

1) The program responsible for creating the folders is corrupt and the data isn't translating properly to the folder names and consequently aren't opening the way they should.

2) The program in question is a non-English variety, and the computer doesn't support that language.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#7 fozzie

fozzie

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2006 - 06:34 AM

Couldn't be AlZip. That program creates folders with bird names, which these manifestly are not. Additionally, they would not be limited to folders for pictures.
----------
Looking at those file names makes me think there is a language translation problem somewhere. I can think of a couple possibilities:

1) The program responsible for creating the folders is corrupt and the data isn't translating properly to the folder names and consequently aren't opening the way they should.

2) The program in question is a non-English variety, and the computer doesn't support that language.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:

As I said `a wild guess`. I could go along with the translation problem, Are these files `rightclickable`

#8 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2006 - 07:12 AM

I could right click on them, but that was it....couldn't do anything else with them. Couldn't move them, copy, paste, open...nothing.

I told them that if they couldn't reformat the card and get it to work without errors, then to get rid of it. There was a promotion and an award ceremony on it....I was able to move all but one image off the card. Oh well, hopefully the card is fine now. Still, kinda crazy though! :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#9 fozzie

fozzie

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2006 - 07:18 AM

Anything usefull in the properties?

#10 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2006 - 10:03 AM

TBH, I don't remember if I checked the properties or not....I might've, and it probably gave me that "cannot access file" error (I got that so many times it all kinda blurs together).

No big deal either way, since I don't have the card anymore (customer left with it), and I couldn't copy the folders/files to my hdd, I can't check anything. I was just hoping that someone would say something like "Yes, I've seen those files and it's caused by ABC and XYZ and there's no fix to it."!!! HEHEHE!!! :flowers:

Thanks! :thumbsup:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users