Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ie6 Freezing

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 benny269

benny269

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 19 December 2006 - 01:52 PM

Hi

Since yesterday the Internet Explorer (version 6) on my laptop seems to have frozen on the homepage. Everything was working normally up until the error began and I had used it successfully up to an hour before the prblem began. It connects to the internet via a wireless network setup in the house and I can navigate using explorer to internet sites for example by opening My Computer and then using the address bar to continue but whenever you try to start by using Internet Explorer the homepage (www.google.co.uk) loads as normal except the 'Favorites' button is depressed and the side pane is permanently open. From this point you cannot click on any links on the website nor any buttons in the window. Close/Minimize operations do not function either and the only way to end the window is by using CTRL+ALT+DEL which also shows the program as 'Running' without any other errors.

The laptop has had McAfee installed on it as default and often shows dialog boxes as having updated but did not mention anything. However today when using a few scanners to clean my system multiple issues were found.

Used AdAware SE Personal updated to latest records which found multiple issues under the headings of Alexa and Tracking Cookies. All were removed successfully.

Used Spybot S&D updated to latest settings which also found numerous problems under the headings of Alexa Related, Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter_disabled, TagASaurus, VX2.Favoriteman and WebTrends live. Again all removed successfully.

I was going to try and install the latest version IE7 so that the uninstall and reinstall may fix the problem but when trying, the laptop fails the Validation check for Genuine Microsoft products and while it is a recent laptop it was bought from abroad so I can't continue with this.

Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 19 December 2006 - 02:01 PM

To start from downwards upwards :

Do you have a valid windows? Check my sig for the freeware link and download Belarc Advisor. Run and install it will give you the the key as it is on your laptop. Check with your local Microsoft officve whether this is a valid key.

Please download AVG Anti-Spyware to your Desktop or to your usual Download Folder.
http://www.ewido.net/en/download/

* Install AVG Anti-Spyware by double clicking the installer.
* Follow the prompts. Make sure that Launch AVG Anti-Spyware is checked.
* On the main screen under Your Computer's security.
o Click on Change state next to Resident shield. It should now change to inactive.
o Click on Change state next to Automatic updates. It should now change to inactive.
o Next to Last Update, click on Update now. (You will need an active internet connection to perform this)
o Wait until you see the Update succesfull message.
* Right-click the AVG Anti-Spyware Tray Icon and uncheck Start with Windows.
* Right-click the AVG Anti-Spyware Tray Icon and select Exit. Confirm by clicking Yes.

If you are having problems with the updater, you can use this link to manually update ewido.
AVG Anti-Spyware manual updates.
Download the Full database to your Desktop or to your usual Download Folder and install it by double clicking the file. Make sure that AVG Anti-Spyware is closed before installing the update.

Close ALL open Windows / Programs / Folders. Reboot in safe mode Please start AVG Anti-Spyware and run a full scan.

* Click on Scanner on the toolbar.
* Click on the Settings tab.
o Under How to act?
+ Click on Recommended Action and choose Quarantine from the popup menu.
o Under How to scan?
+ All checkboxes should be ticked.
o Under Possibly unwanted software:
+ All checkboxes should be ticked.
o Under Reports:
+ Select Automatically generate report after every scan and uncheck Only if threats were found.
o Under What to scan?
+ Select Scan every file.
* Click on the Scan tab.
* Click on Complete System Scan to start the scan process.
* Let the program scan the machine.
* When the scan has finished, follow the instructions below.
IMPORTANT : Don't click on the "Save Scan Report" button before you did hit the "Apply all Actions" button.
o Make sure that Set all elements to: shows Quarantine (1), if not click on the link and choose Quarantine from the popup menu. (2)
o At the bottom of the window click on the Apply all Actions button. (3)

Posted Image

* When done, click the Save Scan Report button. (4)
o Click the Save Report as button.
o Save the report to your Desktop.
* Right-click the AVG Anti-Spyware Tray Icon and select Exit. Confirm by clicking Yes.

Reboot in Normal Mode.

Can you tell us which scans you have iused beside the McAfee one?

#3 benny269

benny269
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2006 - 05:45 PM

I cannot use the advised Belarc Advisor software on the infected laptop as the results from the profiling of the program are displayed using IE and so when I ran it all that happened was after the progress bar completed a blank IE page opened and froze on the screen. Totally empty and unresponsive as before. From what I've seen with this laptop so far and previous experience with this I think its fairly likely that it isnt valid so I would suggest you just continue with this assumption in mind. If there is any other way of confirming this feel free to let me know otherwise I'll just have to retry it if/when IE is up and running on it again.

Downloaded AVG-AS and updated it changing settings as instructed. Ran the scan successfully in safe mode taking a long time (about an hour!). Found a total of 10 objects (13 traces) the main one being the 'Adware.Generic' which was quarantined. The rest were just 'Tracking cookies' which didnt offer the option to quarantine and so were deleted. Report is attached.

As detailed a little bit more in depth in the initial post I used the latest versions of AdAware and Spybot as well as AVG Free AV (which completed when I was away from the laptop so I didnt see what actions it automatically took) but all 3 completed successfully removing whatever was found.

---------------------------------------------------------
AVG Anti-Spyware - Scan Report
---------------------------------------------------------

+ Created at: 10:24:22 PM 12/19/2006

+ Scan result:

HKU\S-1-5-21-1614895754-1500820517-682003330-1003\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{C95FE080-8F5D-11D2-A20B-00AA003C157A} -> Adware.Generic : Cleaned with backup (quarantined).
C:\Documents and Settings\presario\Cookies\presario@microsoftwga.112.2o7[1].txt -> TrackingCookie.2o7 : Cleaned.
C:\Documents and Settings\presario\Cookies\presario@msnportal.112.2o7[1].txt -> TrackingCookie.2o7 : Cleaned.
C:\Documents and Settings\presario\Cookies\presario@adbrite[2].txt -> TrackingCookie.Adbrite : Cleaned.
C:\Documents and Settings\presario\Cookies\presario@adtech[2].txt -> TrackingCookie.Adtech : Cleaned.
C:\Documents and Settings\presario\Cookies\presario@www.burstnet[2].txt -> TrackingCookie.Burstnet : Cleaned.
C:\Documents and Settings\presario\Cookies\presario@com[1].txt -> TrackingCookie.Com : Cleaned.
C:\Documents and Settings\presario\Cookies\presario@www.myaffiliateprogram[1].txt -> TrackingCookie.Myaffiliateprogram : Cleaned.
C:\Documents and Settings\presario\Cookies\presario@questionmarket[2].txt -> TrackingCookie.Questionmarket : Cleaned.
C:\Documents and Settings\presario\Cookies\presario@anad.tacoda[2].txt -> TrackingCookie.Tacoda : Cleaned.
C:\Documents and Settings\presario\Cookies\presario@anat.tacoda[1].txt -> TrackingCookie.Tacoda : Cleaned.
C:\Documents and Settings\presario\Cookies\presario@tacoda[1].txt -> TrackingCookie.Tacoda : Cleaned.
C:\Documents and Settings\presario\Cookies\presario@yieldmanager[2].txt -> TrackingCookie.Yieldmanager : Cleaned.

::Report end

#4 fozzie

fozzie

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2006 - 04:27 AM

As far as spyware is concerned you should be ok now.

Can you tell us which scans you have used beside the McAfee one?

??

I see from your profile you also posted a HJT log when was that? Can you do the scan at this site? Do the full scan and report any results.

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 23 December 2006 - 11:03 PM

I cannot use the advised Belarc Advisor software on the infected laptop as the results from the profiling of the program are displayed using IE and so when I ran it all that happened was after the progress bar completed a blank IE page opened and froze on the screen.

If you have another browser installed, such as Firefox or Opera, make it the default browser and Belarc will show its report in that browser and not IE.

If you do not have one of these other browsers, I'd suggest downloading Firefox to a memory stick and installing it and make it the default browser. I'd personally get the 1.5.0.9 version, not the 2.0 version. You can get the 1.5.0.9 version here: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-older.html

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#6 benny269

benny269
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2006 - 04:20 AM

Any reason 1.5.0.9 is better than any subsequent updates up to the latest 2.0? Just curious to your opinion...

#7 fozzie

fozzie

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2006 - 07:41 AM

Version 2.0.1 just came out which solved a number of safety issues in Firefox. Download it here

#8 benny269

benny269
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2006 - 03:26 PM

Just as a note, somehow the IE6 homepage has now unfrozen and started functioning normally so I cannot see any direct issues. Would still like to be clear that there are no underlying problems. (Also did not need to download Firefox for same reason)

Ran the Windows Live One Scan in 'Full Service' mode which checked all the relevant pc areas. The whole scanner ran successfully completing all parts of the scan including registry checks and disk defrag.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users