Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Phil B.

Phil B.

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 19 December 2006 - 12:04 PM

My neighbor is have a problem with his PC booting into safe mode every time he starts the computer.
Would like to help him correct the problem but can use some help. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

WinXP SP2

Phil B

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SolTec

SolTec

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 19 December 2006 - 12:05 PM

Phil,

Check and make sure the keyboard isn't defective with the F5 key sticking.

SolTec

#3 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2006 - 02:53 PM

He might try this little tool. Since he already boots to safe mode, use it to try to boot back into normal mode. It might break the cycle that is causing him to always boot in safe mode. It doesn't install anything. You just click it and pick what you want to do.

http://www.superadblocker.com/bootsafe.html

I use it because my computer is a pain to boot into safe mode. My fingers aren't fast enough to do it manually. It's been a godsend for me.

The reason I say it "might" break the cycle he's in is because of the last statement here on their site:

When you have completed your tasks, simply run BootSafe again and select the Normal Restart option and click the Reboot button and your computer will reboot in Normal Mode.

People who have used this tool to get into Safe Mode have found that if they forget and restart the normal way, they just cycle back into Safe Mode again.

#4 Phil B.

Phil B.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2006 - 07:06 PM

Thanks for the responses. Tried a different keyboard and that did not resolve the problem. Removed Norton Internet Security using Norton Removal tool then did a System Restore back a couple of days before the problem started. Booted up normal and reinstalled Norton Internet Security.

Everything back to normal now. Downloaded BoofSafe for future use if needed.

Thanks again for the responses.

Phil B

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users