Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Eraser

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dtcross

dtcross

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 19 December 2006 - 11:51 AM

Greetings all,
I need to completely clean up a hard drive before I get rid of this computer. There was some sensitive information contained on the machine and I want to make sure there are no traces left. Is there a utility to clean up a drive without having to reformat completely?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2006 - 12:09 PM

I use and recommend:

http://www.tolvanen.com/eraser/

Since over-writing files is a non-reversal action, be sure to read the Help file carefully before using any application like this.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 20 December 2006 - 05:30 AM

There's also Active Killdisk here which runs from DOS. Overwrites the whole disk regardless of how many partitions it has -- destroys them all and the data they contain -- at low level. probably more secure than Eraser I would have thought. http://www.killdisk.com/

Edited by pip22, 20 December 2006 - 05:30 AM.

#4 Kevin_D

Kevin_D

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 06:00 AM

For hdd wiping purposes I can highly recommend you this product but unfortunately it is not free.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 20 December 2006 - 09:50 AM

Well i'm gonna recommend one of my favorite hard drive utilities. Digital Dolly 1.0. This freeware utilities boots from a cd and has several wipe protocals. From a single pass "Quick Wipe" to a 38 pass (Black helicopter paranoid) "Gutman Wipe". It has over a dozen other hard drive and partition utilities. Very good wrench for the toolbox.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 21 December 2006 - 07:58 AM

If you don't want to reformat the complete drive this is what I would do:

Dowload and install CCleaner. Under the Cleaner setting check all the boxs (windows and application). Then go Options, Settings and select Secure File Deletion (7 passes). Then go Cleaner and Run Cleaner and let it do its thing.

Then download and install Eraser (see jgweed's post above). Run Eraser and have it erase all the unused space on the hard drive (select File, New Task).

Then defrag your hard drive.

Then run Eraser again.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users