Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reauthoring Of Dvds

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Bone Idol

Bone Idol

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 19 December 2006 - 05:35 AM

My problem is that when I use DVD Shrink to reauthor DVDs to edit out the commercial breaks in recorded television movies - the final result leaves one-second freeze-frames wherever I have made the cuts.

I want to use some other free software utility which doesn't have this problem.

Does anyone know of a very simple alternative to DVD Shrink which will do this job?

I have tried VobBlanker, DVDRemake Pro, Windows Movie Maker, Nero Recode, RipIt4Me, etc - but I haven't been able to understand how to make these work, and all I get are Error messages or pop-ups that I don't understand.

I can rip DVD discs to hard drive folder and then reauthor these using DVD Shrink - and then burn to disc - but I haven't had any success with the above software programs. I want something that is as elementary and user-friendly as DVD Shrink.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 19 December 2006 - 06:07 AM

How about thisone?

#3 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2006 - 04:06 PM

Thanks Fozzie, but unfortunately what you've recommended is not freeware, and is vastly over-priced for what it does. I already have enough software that I've bought online, to now want to get this for free.

The Womble MPEG-VCR looks good, (even though there are sections of the DigitalFAQ Guide which are totally incomprehensible for not being explained properly - but that's par for the course in my experience. They should never let the tech boys write out the guides - ever).

Again - thanks Fozzie.

#4 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 19 December 2006 - 04:38 PM

I'm not an expert on video edits, but have you tried VirtualDub yet?
Posted Image

#5 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 19 December 2006 - 09:35 PM

While I'm not sure of the format your recorder is saving as, but what you will need to do is either save it as an .avi or .mpg file format. .MPG is actually the best format to save as, as it is of a higher quality than .avi. But it's not really noticed to the average eye, so converting your movie to .avi will be fine.

After you convert it to .avi, you can use VirtualDub (FREE) http://www.virtualdub.org, and it'll let you take out all of the gaps. Then all you do is just re-save the file, then after that, use whatever you have that can convert .avi to DVD.

Also, what format(s) does your recorder record as?

#6 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 05:23 AM

Arcman - thanks for that link, but I seem to be having some trouble with VirtualDub. Once again let me say that using DVD Shrink to edit out commercial breaks in recorded movies is a cynch. No error notices. No needing to convert file types into different formats. No pop-ups telling me I've got a problem.

VirtualDub is telling me I've got a problem.

Posted Image

Walkman - I'll get back to you in a couple of years time when I might have at least a clue of what you're talking about. I understand that .avi and .mpg... etc are video file formats - but the hows, and the whys, and the wherefores of needing to shuffle these around and transfer them into different file type... etc... is a total mystery to me.

I just want to be able to use a video editing tool without first needing to study for a doctorate in computer science.

Meanwhile, thank you all for your help.

#7 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 05:57 AM

Just can't win a trick.

Posted Image

#8 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 20 December 2006 - 04:25 PM

Maybe you don't have the correct codecs installed. If you don't have the correct codecs, then that can cause you problems.

Also, I was asking on the format your recorder saves as so it would be possible to pinpoint your problem, or at least help you out. You replied, but never answered. "Oh Well"

And according to your screen shots, you're doing something wrong.

How do I know this?. I've converted many, many dvd's, movies, whatever, and all my work has been 100% successful. I've done, menus, editing and other aspects of video converting and burning. And some of the tools that you listed that you have are trash, which you never mentioned which actual tools you're using to do this.... which could be your problem. You say you have them and have not mentioned which of them you're using to do this.

Lastly, DVD Shrink will copy a dvd and shrink it down. Yes you can delete the menus and such, but depending on what you're actually copying, DVD Shrink will not work alone. You'll also need a tool called DVD43.

But anyway..... I tried to help you.

Edited by Walkman, 20 December 2006 - 04:28 PM.

#9 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 08:28 PM

Thank you walkman, I appreciate you trying to help me. However, I am now terminating this inquiry. I have just finished a solid week at two other PC Help forum sites trying to get someone to tell me what software program to use - and the very basics of how to operate it to remove ads from recorded movies -- but all to no avail. I simply give up. I will go my own way from now on.

Meanwhile, if someone would like to learn from me how to operate DVD Shrink for storing DVDs to hard drive... and then reauthoring these to cut out the commercials - then let me know. Elementary, dear Watson. Just bear in mind that where the cuts are made there will be a one-second freeze frame.

Thank you.

Edited by Bone Idol, 20 December 2006 - 09:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users