Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recurring Sypware Probs

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 erik06

erik06

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 19 December 2006 - 04:33 AM

Have run Spybot S&D and it keeps "fixing" 6 problems and says 5 are in memory - so it wants to run again at startup... it does with the same results over and over. Ran Hijackthis and have deleted some entries more than once and they keep coming back.

There was a bootini.exe which looked fishy, and the Explorer.EXE with the "exe" in caps? Making some progress on the spyware, but could use some more help.

Here's the latest log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 2:15:27 AM, on 12/19/2006
Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust\InoculateIT\InoRpc.exe
C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust\InoculateIT\InoRT.exe
C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust\InoculateIT\InoTask.exe
C:\WINNT\LogWatNT.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\RunDll32.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust\InoculateIT\realmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\HPDVD~1\Umbrella\DVDTray.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb10.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Distillr\AcroTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
C:\Program Files\Wireless LAN\WlanUtil.exe
C:\Program Files\InterVideo\Common\Bin\WinCinemaMgr.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\taskmgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\win 2000\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = about:blank
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://red.clientapps.yahoo.com/customize/.../search/ie.html
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://red.clientapps.yahoo.com/customize/...//www.yahoo.com
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://red.clientapps.yahoo.com/customize/...//www.yahoo.com
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SiSUSBRG] C:\WINNT\SiSUSBrg.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HydraVisionDesktopManager] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI HydraVision\HydraDM.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Realtime Monitor] "C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust\InoculateIT\realmon.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] "C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DVDTray] C:\PROGRA~1\HPDVD~1\Umbrella\DVDTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DVDBitSet] C:\PROGRA~1\HPDVD~1\Umbrella\DVDBitSet.exe /NOUI
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Component Manager] "C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINNT\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb10.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Synchronization Manager] %SystemRoot%\system32\mobsync.exe /logon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSConfig] C:\WINNT\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe /auto
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINNT\System32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Acrobat Assistant.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Distillr\AcroTray.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.exe.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: IEEE 802.11g USB Wireless LAN Utility.lnk = C:\Program Files\Wireless LAN\WlanUtil.exe
O4 - Global Startup: InterVideo WinCinema Manager.lnk = C:\Program Files\InterVideo\Common\Bin\WinCinemaMgr.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O16 - DPF: {215B8138-A3CF-44C5-803F-8226143CFC0A} (Trend Micro ActiveX Scan Agent 6.6) - http://housecall65.trendmicro.com/housecal...ivex/hcImpl.cab
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - C:\WINNT\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: eTrust InoculateIT RPC Server (InoRPC) - Computer Associates International, Inc. - C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust\InoculateIT\InoRpc.exe
O23 - Service: eTrust InoculateIT Realtime Server (InoRT) - Computer Associates International, Inc. - C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust\InoculateIT\InoRT.exe
O23 - Service: eTrust InoculateIT Job Server (InoTask) - Computer Associates International, Inc. - C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust\InoculateIT\InoTask.exe
O23 - Service: Event Log Watch (LogWatch) - Unknown owner - C:\WINNT\LogWatNT.exe

Thanks,
-Erik

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 htv8

htv8

• Members
  • 1,694 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 19 December 2006 - 05:08 AM

Hello erik06, and welcome to BleepingComputer. I will be handling your log to help you get cleaned up.

Please take note of the following:
1. I will start working on your malware issues, this may or may not solve other issues you have with your machine.
2. The fixes are specific to your problem and should only be used for this issue on this machine.
3. The process is not instant. Please continue to review my answers until I tell you your machine is clean.
4. If there's anything that you don't understand, ask your question(s) before proceeding with the fixes.
5. Please reply to this thread. Do not start a new topic.

Please give me some time to look over your log and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks,

htv8
If I have not posted back within 24 hours, feel free to send me a PM with your topic link.

Posted Image

#3 erik06

erik06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 20 December 2006 - 10:54 PM

I think I have fixed the problem. I had issues with Smitfraud-C and ended up using the Unlocker v1.8.5 program to unlock the corrupted files that Spybot couldn't delete.

These were the following files, none of which I can find identified by HJT:
C:\WINNT\uninst1.htm
C:\WINNT\uninst2.htm
C:\WINNT\affbun.txt
C:\WINNT\uni_ehhhh.exe
C:\WINNT\desktop.html
C:\WINNT\system32\rpcc.dll
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Settings\winsys2f.dll

Installing and running AdAware found 148 more entries, most of which were just tracking cookies that will likely come back in the next hour, but I'm not too worried about them.

I've got the firewall setup now, and seem to be clean. I guess it takes a multi-layered approach to combat this crap. Thanks for your time on my logs.

Here is my new HJT log: (I seem to have no random popups and my cpu usage is stable). Is there anything in there that I should be worried about?

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 8:31:12 PM, on 12/20/2006
Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\csrss.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\Program Files\Comodo\Firewall\cmdagent.exe
C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust\InoculateIT\InoRpc.exe
C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust\InoculateIT\InoRT.exe
C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust\InoculateIT\InoTask.exe
C:\WINNT\LogWatNT.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust\InoculateIT\realmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\HPDVD~1\Umbrella\DVDTray.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb10.exe
C:\Program Files\Comodo\Firewall\CPF.exe
C:\Program Files\Unlocker\UnlockerAssistant.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Distillr\AcroTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
C:\Program Files\Wireless LAN\WlanUtil.exe
C:\Program Files\InterVideo\Common\Bin\WinCinemaMgr.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\win 2000\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\windows\system32\blank.htm
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\windows\system32\blank.htm
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HydraVisionDesktopManager] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI HydraVision\HydraDM.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Realtime Monitor] "C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust\InoculateIT\realmon.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] "C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DVDTray] C:\PROGRA~1\HPDVD~1\Umbrella\DVDTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DVDBitSet] C:\PROGRA~1\HPDVD~1\Umbrella\DVDBitSet.exe /NOUI
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Component Manager] "C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINNT\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb10.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Synchronization Manager] %SystemRoot%\system32\mobsync.exe /logon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Comodo Firewall] "C:\Program Files\Comodo\Firewall\CPF.exe" /background
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UnlockerAssistant] "C:\Program Files\Unlocker\UnlockerAssistant.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINNT\System32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Acrobat Assistant.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Distillr\AcroTray.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.exe.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: IEEE 802.11g USB Wireless LAN Utility.lnk = C:\Program Files\Wireless LAN\WlanUtil.exe
O4 - Global Startup: InterVideo WinCinema Manager.lnk = C:\Program Files\InterVideo\Common\Bin\WinCinemaMgr.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O16 - DPF: {215B8138-A3CF-44C5-803F-8226143CFC0A} (Trend Micro ActiveX Scan Agent 6.6) - http://housecall65.trendmicro.com/housecal...ivex/hcImpl.cab
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - C:\WINNT\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: Comodo Application Agent (CmdAgent) - COMODO - C:\Program Files\Comodo\Firewall\cmdagent.exe
O23 - Service: eTrust InoculateIT RPC Server (InoRPC) - Computer Associates International, Inc. - C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust\InoculateIT\InoRpc.exe
O23 - Service: eTrust InoculateIT Realtime Server (InoRT) - Computer Associates International, Inc. - C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust\InoculateIT\InoRT.exe
O23 - Service: eTrust InoculateIT Job Server (InoTask) - Computer Associates International, Inc. - C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust\InoculateIT\InoTask.exe
O23 - Service: Event Log Watch (LogWatch) - Unknown owner - C:\WINNT\LogWatNT.exe

#4 htv8

htv8

• Members
  • 1,694 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2006 - 11:12 AM

I'm afraid I have some bad news concerning your computer. After a more in-depth look at your log I spotted a pretty nasty piece of malware that is installed on your computer: a backdoor. In short, this piece of malware allows hackers to remotely control your computer, steal critical system information and download and execute files.

IMPORTANT
I would counsel you to immediately disconnect this PC from the Internet and from your network if it is on a network. Then, access this information from a non-compromised computer to follow the steps needed.
If you do any banking or other financial transactions on the PC or if it should contain any other sensitive information, please get to a known clean computer and change all passwords where applicable, and it would be wise to contact those same financial institutions to apprise them of your situation. To protect your information that may have been compromised, I reccomend reading this reference: How Do I Handle Possible Identify Theft, Internet Fraud and CC Fraud?.

Though the backdoor has been identified and can be killed, because of it's backdoor functionality, your PC is very likely compromised and there is no way to be sure your computer can ever again be trusted. Many experts in the security community believe that once infected with such a piece of malware, the best course of action would be a reformat and reinstall of the OS. This is something I don't like to recommend normally, but it is the best solution for your safety. For more information, please read this reference very carefully: When should I re-format? How should I reinstall?.
If you choose to format and reinstall, see this link for instructions: Reformat Hard Drive FAQ for Windows 95/98/Me/XP.

However, if you do not have the resources to reinstall your computer and would like me to attempt to clean it, I will be happy to do so. But please consider carefully before deciding against a reformat. If you do make that decision, I will do my best to help you disinfect your PC, but you must understand that once a machine has been taken over by this type of malware, it can never be declared clean.

Please let me know what you have decided to do in your next post. Should you have any questions, please feel free to ask.
Below are some more links that could help you decide what to do.

Security Management - May 2004
Help: I Got Hacked. Now What Do I Do?

Security Management - July 2004
Help: I Got Hacked. Now What Do I Do? Part II
If I have not posted back within 24 hours, feel free to send me a PM with your topic link.

Posted Image

#5 htv8

htv8

• Members
  • 1,694 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2006 - 11:09 AM

Due to the lack of feedback, this topic is closed.
To get it reopened, PM a staff member with the address of this thread. This applies to the original topic starter only. Everyone else with similar problems, please start a new topic. :thumbsup:

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users