Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cd Burner Has Gone Mental

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 19 December 2006 - 02:51 AM

Hi Everyone,

I don't know if I'm posting this question on the right forum or not, but here goes. I'm running Windows XP SP2 on an E machine T2260. My CD ReWritable drive seems to have either gone mental, or gone on strike, whichever it is the darned thing has stopped burning anything to a CD.

As I think back over everything I am starting to associate this problem with a really bad case of ad/spyware that I had to battle my way through several months ago.

At one time when I would put a CD in the E drive I would get a little screen asking what I wanted to do. I no longer get that screen whenever I put a disk in the drive, although I can see a little green light flickering to indicate that the drive is checking out what I'd just done.

I'm wondering if my CD burner might have gotten turned off or something during all of the fixing that I was having to do to get rid all of the trash that had gotten into my system.

Can anyone tell me what I need to do to turn it back on? I went trough the device manager, and found the entry for DVD/CD-ROM drivers. According to the device manager CDWRITER IDE 4816 is working like it's supposed to be. I tried to update the driver, but couldn't do it.

I am able to read files that I have stored on CD's in that drive, but everything that I try to copy files to a dick I get a message saying that the wizard couldn't complete the task, and saying that the disk that I'm trying to use may no longer be usable.

I had a friend try one of my disks on their PC, and it worked. I bought another batch of disks to see if that might help, but nothing has changed, it still doesn't work.

Any ideas or help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 19 December 2006 - 03:14 AM

Wendy, this could be a case that your drivers from your cd were compromised. Please undertake following steps :

1) Download latest drivers for your CD writer
2) Go to "MY COMPUTER " rightclick properties click the tab hardware and device control

Click on DVD/CD station and select the writer which has gone "haywire "
Tab on delete and confirm that you want to delete this station
Reboot and add, via Wizzard Hardware the station again with new drivers. This all assuming you have XP

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 19 December 2006 - 08:50 AM

Try this free, standalone (no installation required) burner to see if it's the software or the drive itself: http://www.silentnight2004.com/microburner.html

If it can burn, then the problem's with your software. If it doesn't work, then the problem is likely with the drive itself.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope

Posted 19 December 2006 - 05:02 PM

Hi fozzie,

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to hold off on doing that until after I hear back from usasma.

Hi usasma,

Thanks for the reply. Hey when I got to that site SiteAdvisor had a big old RED X warning on it so I scooted away just as quick as I could. Is there any place else that I can get that download?

Thanks,
Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 09:14 AM

Hmmm, I've never had issues with that site - but I'll look into it.

Meanwhile, here's another link for it: http://www.majorgeeks.com/SilentNight_Micr...rner_d4765.html

Also, here's a link to a Google search for the download: http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&...ght+microburner
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 09:23 AM

Here's the link to the SiteAdvisor comment on Silent Night Microburner:
http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/silentnig...ch&aff_id=0

To me this seems to be an "alarmist" approach to take - and will result in many good links being refused. In this case it's because there's a link to a shareware site that doesn't have good ratings - so they're condemned because of their association with it. Not because of something that they've done - and there's no firm statement that the other site is bad either.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 09:55 AM

In the event that the standalone burner works, then the issue is likely that there was damage to the CD writing software.

If that's the case, uninstalling the CD writing software and reinstalling it should help. Also, as fozzie stated, uninstalling the device itself may help. If you're using the built-in Windows software this is the easiest way to try and cure it.

If it doesn't work, then I'd suggest a repair install of XP. Here's a link: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 20 December 2006 - 09:56 AM

That's why you can't take the SiteAdvisor tray icon as the final word.
It's just a tool, to help you make an informed decision.
Always view the site details.
If it's marked yellow, or red, because of affiliations to red and yellow sites, don't go to those sites, or at least check out the URL's with LinkScanner Online, first.
While at SiteAdvisor, also check out the Detailed Analysis of downloads, from the site in question.
If the download you want, is marked as red, or yellow, I'd be leary of it.
If the download hasn't been tested, Google the program.
If it comes up on a site like MajorGeeks, Softpedia, or Snapfiles, it should be OK to download.
If it's not spyware free, the site will usually mention it.

And finally, ALWAYS scan ANYTHING downloaded from the internet, with your Antivirus BEFORE opening it.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 03:47 PM

Hi usasma,

First off I want to say "Thank You" for your help. OK, I'm pretty new at all of this stuff, and I'm feeling pretty blond right now.

Once the panic of having seen that big red x had worn off a little I snuck back to that sight, and did what I should have done from the beginning. I clicked on SiteAdvisor and read up on what it had to say.

That had satisfied me enough that I went back to the site, and downloaded that program. It took me awhile to figure out how to make that thing work once I had it downloaded, however, work it did, and I now have some files copied to CD.

So... that means that my CD Burner thingy is still working, and hasn't died. I guess that means that I either have a corrupted file somewhere, or I've inadvertently set something wrong.

According to Device Manager that little sucker it working normally. I've tried using the update driver, and roll back driver buttons but neither one of them will let me do anything. I've tried to use the troubleshooting button but it refuses to open anything.

Oh, yes I'm using Windows XP Home with SP2 installed. I might have forgotten to say that in my original posting.

What do you mean uninstall and reinstall the CD writing software? How do I do that? That's out of the question if I have to have an installation disk to be able to reinstall it because the only disk that I have for my machine is a restore disk that I had to order from the manufacture when my system crashed awhile back.

Now about what fozzie said to do, I hesitated to follow that advice because I didn't know if that was going to be something would completely uninstall the drive, or just discombobulate it to the point that windows would run around looking for it, and put it back when I rebooted my PC. I'm willing to try that if windows will put it back without me having to insert disk one or something like that.

Please let me know what you think.
Thanks John,
Wendy

Hi tg1911 Thanks for your reply. I understand what you mean about SiteAdvisor being a tool, and after I'd gotten over my initial shock of seeing that big red x I went back, and used it like it was supposed to be used, and educated the heck out of myself.

Thanks for that web scanning link. I have Dr. Web but I hadn't even thought about using it at the time.

Thanks again,

Wendy

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2006 - 04:57 AM

It all depends on what CD writing software that you use. Most of the stuff that comes pre-loaded on systems is available for little or no cost on the web. Let us know what it is and we'll try to point you to a source for it.

If you're using the built in Windows burner - then the problem becomes a bit more "sticky" - in that you'd have to repair the Windows installation in order to fix it. What make and model of computer do you have? We should be able to find out if you can do a repair install to try and fix it.

#11 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2006 - 03:20 AM

Hi usasma,

Thanks for getting back to me. I don't really know what I've got. I bought the machine second hand. I have the feeling that it came pre loaded, or pre installed. My PC is an E-Machine T2260. The only disks that I have for the machine is the restore disk that I had to order when my system had crashed.

I'll take any help I can get.

Thanks,
Wendy

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2006 - 11:09 AM

Because of my eye problems, I rarely re-read the posts - consequently I'll miss the information that you posted earlier (such as your system info). Sorry 'bout that! :thumbsup:

eMachines has a "partial" image that it uses to restore the information on the system. It requires an Operating System disk in order to perform the restoration - so I'd imagine that you can repair it (but don't know exactly how). Do you have both an Operating System disk and a Drivers disk - that's usual for the eMachines systems.

I'd suggest that you use the Microburner tool for burning CD's or the equally useful freeware tool Deep Burner - and leave the Windows installation alone since it seems to be working well otherwise.

#13 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2006 - 10:08 PM

Hi usasma,

Thanks for the reply. Not to worry about not re-reading a post or not remembering what everyone has on their post. Shoot, sometimes I can't remember what I wrote either.

OK as for as system dicks go, you were correct about emachines having two disks. I have what is labeled as restore disks #1, and #2.

I finally found where something had been changed that was keeping the "MyVolume (E:) information window from opening that asks what you want to do whenever you put a disk into the drive, and reset it so that it opens now whenever I put a disk in the drive.

I know that there is something that I must have done that is keeping my CD burner from being able to take that last step, and copy files from that temp folder to the CD, and that's what's driving me nuts.

Do you have any hints as to where I could look to see if everything is set like it's supposed to be set?

Question; If I go into the device manager, and un-install CDWRITER IDE 4816, then reboot my PC, will Windows automatically look for it, and reinstall it?

Thanks for any ideas.

Wendy

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2006 - 09:27 AM

Actually, the repair install should be one of your last resorts. Uninstalling the drive and rebooting will allow Windows to redetect the drive - but this may not cure the problem.

Try viewing the contents of the recovery disks in Windows Explorer. You're looking for a directory that's named "i386" - that's the one that contains the Windows files.

#15 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2006 - 01:25 AM

Hi usasma,

Thanks for the reply. OK, I poked both of those disks into my E drive. Disk #1 popped up a small text file that said all of the drivers had been moved to disk #2. Disk #2 Had no mention of i386 anywhere that I could find.

What else can I do? Or where else can I look for that file?

Thanks,
Wendy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users