Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Scan Disk/defrag

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rey910

rey910

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 18 December 2006 - 11:37 PM

I recently aquired an windows xp--some how i can't log onto the admistrative section of the computer to activate a scan disk and/or defrag because it says i don't have access to that part of the computer. What I would like to no is if there is anyway,other than reformatting this computer, that I can preform these operations? I only have user access to this computer. I hope I am making sense here. I really don't care about the administrative log on and/or password. I just need to know if there is any way I can bypass that part and do a scan disk and defrag this compuer? if there is--could you please instruct me as to how to go about it. Thank you for the help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 19 December 2006 - 03:58 AM

Are you able to create a new account :

START CONTROL-PANEL USER ACCOUNTS create a new account.

#3 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 479 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2006 - 04:05 AM

This is only available to be done by a admin. You will need to have admin rights to do defrag.
FocusToonSigStreched.jpg

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 19 December 2006 - 05:03 AM

The Tweaking Companion tells you how to get Admin rights - along with loads of other useful stuff. See page 25 in particular.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 479 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2006 - 06:28 AM

This is good but it does not show how to add admin rights to a user that does not have admin rights.

Very useful guide thou
FocusToonSigStreched.jpg

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 19 December 2006 - 06:36 AM

Well no...but there is a link given that can reset the admin password.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 19 December 2006 - 08:46 AM

You'll need admin privileges to get admin privileges. There's no magic wand that will allow you to elevate without the login and password for an administrator account.

A sometimes workaround (with XP Home) is to boot into Safe Mode and access the Administrator account from there. If it wasn't password protected, then it'll let you in.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users