Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Serial Number In Registry

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 petergriffinlol

petergriffinlol

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 18 December 2006 - 11:30 PM

I've installed Macromedia Flash on my usb drive. I wanted to use this program on 5 different computers at work all in different areas. I do not have admin privileges so installing the program on the computer is out of the question. It will run on 2 of the computers, but the other 3 give me this error "The software cannot launch. The serial number in the registry is incorrect and cannot be changed because you do not have administrator privileges" What serial number is that referring to? Is there a way to modify anything in the registry so that I can use this program? If not is there any hope of getting this to work?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 19 December 2006 - 12:26 AM

This topic can go two ways. 1) Discuss legally configuring a computer that you do not own to run legal software, or 2) Hacking a computer you do not have right to make changes. The second will not be allowed. If this topic turns to a discussion about hacking it will be closed and any hacking information will be deleted.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 petergriffinlol

petergriffinlol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2006 - 12:36 AM

no no no. i just want to run my macromedia software. i was curious about the registry serial number. i put the software on the usb drive because i dont have admin rights. i just want to run the program. if its not possible then so be it. im just looking for info. more of work around i suppose. i dont want to modify a registry that isnt mine. I will ask this in a different way.....why would it work on some computers but not the others? from what i can see, they are all set up the same. maybe its a file in my usb drive that i need to configure.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2006 - 12:47 AM

no no no. i just want to run my macromedia software. i was curious about the registry serial number. i put the software on the usb drive because i dont have admin rights. i just want to run the program. if its not possible then so be it. im just looking for info. more of work around i suppose. i dont want to modify a registry that isnt mine. I will ask this in a different way.....why would it work on some computers but not the others? from what i can see, they are all set up the same. maybe its a file in my usb drive that i need to configure.

I believe I understand that. That is why the topic is not locked. I just don't want someone to post a hack that could be used to defeat security on any computer.
Why it won't run on some and will on other will have to do with how the Administrative privileges are configured. Without seeing the Administrative setup I personally could not tell you.

#5 mattalan

mattalan

• Banned
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2006 - 12:55 AM

I PICK OPTION 2! Not.

WARNING : Are you susposed to have Media PLayers on your computer at work? they might have it disabled and if you go around it get you fired.

If your not worried about that continue here :
Boot into Safe Mode (F8) when it comes up to it select Administrator make a new account with full admin powers shut down, turn power on, load the account you just made. Then try to install it that way. (On the computer or change the admin (other then the Secert Administrator account) password once in safe mode)

Edited by mattalan, 19 December 2006 - 12:58 AM.

#6 petergriffinlol

petergriffinlol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2006 - 01:01 AM

i like my job, sounds too risky.I will pass on the account setup. Yes we have media players, the admin accounts i belive are so we cant install any viruses. we had virus a while back from some P2P program so this is thier way to eliminate it.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2006 - 01:06 AM

That is a well respected program, why don't you approach you Sys Admin and see if he\she will install it for you?

#8 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,848 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 19 December 2006 - 01:07 AM

Have you taken up the issue with the IT folks at your job? I think I'd start there. The security number could be related to a number of different things, and the IT folks would have better knowledge of just what that is and the why of it.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#9 mattalan

mattalan

• Banned
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2006 - 01:09 AM

That is a well respected program, why don't you approach you Sys Admin and see if he\she will install it for you?

yea you could I dont think they will do that tho.

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2006 - 01:13 AM

My department bans installation of programs by employees for the same reason... malware. They have installed a few programs for me. It may take a few days so they can research the TOS. Some freeware is prohibited for commercial use.
They actually installed FireFox with several plug ins for me. Don't know till you ask.

#11 petergriffinlol

petergriffinlol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2006 - 01:41 AM

I am one of thousands who work here. I have no say so on what gets installed. They wouldnt give me the time of day. They have taken extensive measures to keep people from installing anything. we only have so many websites we can view. I will guarantee they will not install it. I would probably get a lecture from my supervisor for even considering bringing it up to them. Macromedia is respectable, but they will ask if i need it to do my job. I wish I did, but i dont. Its all personal, i just at work too much so this is the only time i can do it.

#12 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 19 December 2006 - 08:39 AM

I have experience with being one of the "faceless masses" on a network - and the experience on how to get around it.

IMO your best bet is to befriend someone from IT and then bring it up casually to them. Anything else is liable to be contrary to the company's policies - and could result in some sort of action being taken against you.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users