Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Simple Search Syntax?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tristanolas

tristanolas

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 18 December 2006 - 08:50 PM

I originally posted in two seperate posts: linux vs MS & using date switch & got many helpful replies but still have some questions and both topics started to merge into one topic so I posted this

None of the freeware desktop programs I tried (google,yahoo,copernic) had a complete syntax you can write in one step to do ridiculously simple tasks like these that computers are suppost to do best:
find all *.xyz,*.zyx, *.yxz *.zzz files (Before a certain date, after a certain date, or listed by date)
paste all these files into a folder
They all had a bunch of drop-down menues from which you had to choose from a limited number of options (often not including the one you need)

Windows built-in programs seem more simple, but having problems w/ them:
command prompt
-found it was not possible to return results (from all folders on C:\ drive) sorted by date w/o pasting into excel, etc
-is it possible to use one of the searching operations (find,dir) on multiple filetypes (ie: find C:\(*.txt OR *.mp3 OR *.mpg)
-is it possible to perform operations (xcopy) on all resulting files of either the find,dir, or qgrep command?

Microsoft's built-in search program:
-I don't for example know how to look for ALL *.* before:11-13-2005... must I click all the way back to the first date computer was used under the from box?
-searching multiple extensions: *gre* +(*.txt OR *.jpeg OR *.bmp) is returning me *.doc, *.mid and folders that have *gre* in their title. I also can't find a way to specify whether to search for text in the document's body or in it's title.
- has some sort of bug somtimes ("memory can not be read/referenced" -or something)

Any input appreciated.

Edited by tristanolas, 18 December 2006 - 08:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2006 - 10:12 PM

Regarding your first part - finding several types of files,
just type in on the SEARCH files something like this *.txt *.doc *.xls with spaces between them, and when you add the date filter you'll be good to go. See also http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/75463/command-using-date-switch-w-dir/ for details of date range.

#3 tristanolas

tristanolas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2006 - 09:24 PM

I can't find a button to edit my orgn. post) so:

trying to move all of a specific filetype (ie: *.mp3) to a single folder.I typed a command like the following into cmd.exe:
move C:\*.mp3 "C:\Documents and Settings\AnotherUser\" /s

it always responds with "cannot perform a cyclic copy".
Also, could I do it w/ multiple file types at once? (example: move C:\[*.mp3 OR *.wav OR *.jpeg] "C:\Documents and Settings\AnotherUser\" /s). Or must I do this in multiple steps?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users