Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Password Nightmare

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 GoGo

GoGo

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 28 December 2004 - 11:29 PM

My son has done something to his computer and I’m stumped! :huh:

On boot up the PC goes directly to a password request. I mean there is no windows start, no dose start, no nothing but a few lines of boot up info like card start up Play and Plug then a small tile pops up and says “Enter Password:”

I’ve tried a lot of different things to get passed it like:
F8 to safe mode, doesn’t work goes to Password request before it can start,
Boot Disk – doesn’t work – goes to Password request before it can start,
Virus Dish start up – doesn’t work, Pass comes up first.

I can’t interrupt it. I would wipe the drive if I could get passed the Password Request. :thumbsup:

OS - Windows 2000 Pro

Thanks for you input.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 29 December 2004 - 12:53 AM

Try typing in "administrator", and seeing if that works.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 GoGo

GoGo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2004 - 03:02 AM

Thanks but it will only accept 8 letters or digits. Walked in there and tried it anyway. Have you ever heard of this? I guess I can add another hard drive and dump this one but I was trying to save his data.

#4 ebro

ebro

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2004 - 06:51 AM

If you press the del key during the system boot up yo can enter what is called the BIOS (Basic Input/Output System (I think it means)). It gives you and option for setting up all your hardware at the systems basic level. Its not really for beginners to experiment with, BUT there is an option to enable what is called a supervisor passed and a user password. It can prevent people from entering the bios setup as some changes can harm your configuration. You can also set this so that your system asks for a password when the machine first initializes. I strongly think this it what has happened.

Your son has set up a password in your bios and set it so that you have to enter this before it will boot up.

Possible soloutions are... Take a big long peice of 2" by 4" wood and hit your son repeatedly until he confesses and gives you the password!!

Or another way is...

There is a small "Jumper" located on your motherboard, so get out ya screwdriver and open ya beast of a machine up...

The jumper is located on the mainboard near a lithium battery cell, you know the button type.

If you can determine what motherboard you have then the diagram inside the manual will tell you where the BIOS reset or clear jumper is.

What ya need yo do is...

Make sure your machine has no power first!! Switched off etc..

The jumper is usually a black or white plastic coated square thing, really small about 6mm x 2mm x 8mm (I didnt measure it btw jus a guess) and it usually sits on the motherboard where 2 pins are sticking out and it sits on one of them.. What ya have to do to remove the jumper and put it on both pins for about 5 seconds and then put it back into its original position, or things will not work ... Sometimes, there will be 3 pins on the board, its like a crude type of switch so just move it over, 5 seconds, return to original position...

Now what this does is RESET your bios configuration, it will remove any settings including the password which has been set. It could be a real pain trying to configure it again.

There are plently of sites around to help you configure your bios so not to worry, although it can be tricky if your not used to doing it as some things are a little technical for a beginner

Hope this helps and if your stuck for some 2" by 4", use a baseball bat :thumbsup:

Just kidding.. !!!

#5 GoGo

GoGo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2004 - 01:45 PM

Hey this is his son, have you ever been accused of child beating? lol. Well your info sounds good and your guess about locking out of bios is correct. I don't care if the hard drive is wiped, or if my system needs to be re-configured or any of that, I just want my computer back. I'll try what you've suggested, and let you know. :thumbsup:

#6 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 29 December 2004 - 06:21 PM

By reseting the BIOS password, it would not reset the Hard drive or any other setting. One thing you can look for when you do it is the dust. If you have not opened it a while, and you do not see any dust on the boards, then it is likely that your son may have cleaned it out a little.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#7 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,595 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2004 - 06:34 PM

Two simple things you could try before going into the BIOS. If no password was entered, just having a password was set up, the default will be either Admin or blank. So you could try just hitting enter when the prompt for the password comes up.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#8 GoGo

GoGo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2004 - 01:13 AM

Gee Thanks Guy's!!! Your the best!!!

I got pass the BIOS password. I posted a note in PASSWORD 2.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users