Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newbee Questions......

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ebrid001

ebrid001

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 18 December 2006 - 07:00 PM

Having worn out a store bought computer,knowing now how I use a computer,the bug has bit to build my own.

Browsing Tiger Direct,looking at barebones' kits,I found two socket 939 kits,within my price range,that will do what I want a computer to do.(Once I add the other stuff.)

The two are comparably equipped,with similar features,within ten dollars of each other. One has a MSI motherboard,the other a Mach Speed motherboard.

Does anyone have anything bad or good to say about either option,or can I select based upon price?

Thank you.

**This is subject to revision;I can take advice.**

-Case,power supply,Athelon 64 4000+ chip,heatsink/fan.(Hence the question above.)
-1 gb DDR memory(PC 3200)
-Nvidia,Pci express,16 card
-Sound Blaster sound card
-Western Digital Sata Drive 120gb
-Logitek Wireless Keyboard/Mouse
-Three piece speakers
-plain vanilla printer/USB cable
-Sony DVD-RW optical drive
-17" LED monitor
-Windows Home

Any obvious mistakes so far?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dogslikeus

dogslikeus

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 18 December 2006 - 07:21 PM

browsing tigerdirect, i think i picked out the two kits you had in mind. but if you could link to the two you were considering just in case we could give you better commentary.

with the machspeed motherboard the one thing that concerns me is how close the pci-e 16 slot is to the ram slots. some of the larger videocards that are out now extend far past the end of the slot and with it being so close to the ram, you may have a hard time seating them correctly.

the msi motherboard looks like it has better placement of the pci-e 16 slot relative to the ram.

also, you may want to consider more than a 400w power supply if you're wanting to get a very powerful videocard. if you want to go relatively high end on the graphics i'd recommend a 500w psu, at least.

#3 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 18 December 2006 - 09:19 PM

sight unseen, I would go with the MSI board. I agree with dogslikeus, a bigger power supply would be better.

Go for a 500 to 550

suggestion; get two 80 gig SATA Drives if this MB has more sata ports, and set up a RAID 0
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2006 - 12:43 AM

MSI - they've got a better reputation than Mach Speed.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 ebrid001

ebrid001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2006 - 11:36 AM

All three above,thank you!

Perhaps I'm browsing too much,getting too raw information before I digest it,but I'm curious.

Do the Shuttle Computer Barebones Kits require heat sinks/fans on the CPUs or is the cooling built into the design?

Ed

#6 dogslikeus

dogslikeus

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 19 December 2006 - 01:05 PM

i'd need to see the specific product you were looking at, but they generally either say fan/heatsink included or not included. unless i'm misinterpreting your question. yes, cpus do need cooling of some sort, regardless of case design.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users