Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recommendation For Wireless

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 awalker626

awalker626

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 18 December 2006 - 06:35 PM

Right now I have Dell Dimension 2400 desktop QWEST DSL (local provider).

This modem connects directly to one desktop computer for Internet access. Built-in wireless capability is not available.

Right now my modem is the Qwest® Standard Modem: Actiontec® GT701
• Supports speeds up to 24Mbps
• Compatible with existing wireless networks
• Includes advanced security features: Firewall, Stateful Packet Inspection, NAT, Web site blocking, Web service blocking, Internet traffic logging, Denial of Service (DOS) protection

• Modem Features: Supports Microsoft Windows® 98, Windows 98SE, Windows Me, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Mac OS 9.2.2 or higher; Linux/BSD, Unix
• TCP/IP network protocol installed

At present I have it connected via ethernet to my desktop. In a few weeks I'll be getting rid of my desktop and replacing it with a Dell Inspiron 1501 with the Dell Wireless 1390 802.11g Mini Card (54Mbps), for Inspiron 1501, and am looking for suggestions on going wireless. I'm not the best at Internet/Wireless so I'm looking for advice on a possible wireless router, etc., or whatever would be the best means of taking my current connection wireless for a reasonable amount of money. Since the only info I can get from Qwest is that the have a wireless networking kit (router is $149) and the only info they give about the setup is plugging that into the first computer, and the network other computers wirelessly from there. Forgive my ignorance, but that doesn't sound like what I want. Any info/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2006 - 01:04 AM

Well the good news is you have options. You have a built in router. All you need is a wireless access point that is 802.11g compatible. Some router are able to "Bridge" and be use in this way. I would look at the Linksys WTR54G router and research setting it in bridge mode. They are about $50 at Walmart.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 19 December 2006 - 04:30 AM

It really all depends on if you are keeping the desktop. If so then a wireless access point is the best way to go.

If not then you will need a wireless router. This will replace the DSL router you are currently using. This will make it possible to connect to the DSL network through a wireless enabled laptop. Make sure there is relevant security in place when using a wireless router. WEP and Mac address filtering and NAT are a must really.
FocusToonSigStreched.jpg

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 19 December 2006 - 08:25 AM

Wireless routers can be substituted for a wireless access point. My NetGear WGR614's all came with instructions on how to do this.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 awalker626

awalker626
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2006 - 08:43 AM

Perfect. I am getting rid of the desktop and was hoping I would just need the right router to replace it. Thanks for the help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users