Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dumb ? About Windows Xp Media Center

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Gjudd

Gjudd

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 18 December 2006 - 06:24 PM

Recently I had some problems with an installation of Windows XP Media Center and got some good help here. But in the course I'm a little confused. Someone here said that XP Media Center is an enhanced version of XP Home. But when I talked to HP support they claimed that its an enhanced version of XP Pro.

I'm jus wondering which is correct. If it's home, I'd sure like to see if there's an upgrade path, otherwise no sense in messing with it.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 18 December 2006 - 07:47 PM

Although MCE is based on Windows XP Professional, Microsoft has disabled its ability to join an Active Directory domain post install. This effectively precludes the use of Media Center in a corporate environment. Media Center still retains most other Windows XP Pro-specific features, such as Remote Desktop and the Encrypting File System.

Quote taken from here.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 19 December 2006 - 12:27 AM

From this Microsoft page: http://www.microsoft.com/nz/windowsxp/medi...n/features.mspx

Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 is the first consumer OS built on top of the Windows XP Home and Service Pack 2 (SP2) foundation with Advanced Security Technologies including Windows Firewall, Pop-up Blocker for Internet Explorer, and the new Windows Security Center, all while offering all of the features available today in Windows XP Home Edition.

Media Center Edition (MCE) is XP Home with media center add-ins. The above link is just one of many where Microsoft states that MCE is XPHome with add-ons. Some of these add-ins are from XP Pro while others aren't available on any other version of XP. It's the add-ons from Pro that cause the problems and the misunderstanding.

For example, some Dell computers with MCE will find that entries in their registry refer to XP Pro. This causes a problem when trying to use the System File Checker (SFC.EXE) because this it tells the computer 2 different things - and the result is that (without fixing it) SFC.EXE doesn't work.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 19 December 2006 - 03:54 AM

Wouldn't MCE be more akin to XP Pro than XP Home since it has the initial ability to join a Windows Domain as well as encrypt individual files and folders?
Posted Image

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 19 December 2006 - 08:40 AM

This issue came up recently at work. While I don't have the link handy, MCE can view files on a domain but cannot join a domain (well, not without some "tricks" :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 19 December 2006 - 03:09 PM

Well, I've read it can't join a domain once it's fully running, but I think it can when it's first set up? I know I've seen the option to either join a workgroup or a Windows domain when going through the initial setup of the OS or through the manufacturer's sysprep.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users