Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can You Recommend Any Good Mbís For Athlon 64 With Agp Slots?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 liquidmonkey

liquidmonkey

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 18 December 2006 - 05:18 PM

hi, am going to be upgrading my PC very soon and was wondering your thoughts. Have googled for 2 days now (learned a lot!!) but always manage to get great advice here , this place rocks!!
Current specs are in signature

am thinking of getting an AMD socket 939 MB as opposed to AM2 due to cost and the amount of upgrading that needs to be done with AM2.

The plan isÖ
to add another 2 sticks of 1 gig DDR400 PC3200 RAM to get me up to a full 4gigs
to keep my current video card as it totally rocks
to get a ATHLON 64 3700+ 2.2GHz chip of sorts to help speed things up a bit.
Now just need a good MB to support thisÖ

Now is it me or is the nforce4 chip only good for PCI-E video cards? Its seems that most ASUS and GIGABYTE MB having nforce4 chips only have a load of PCI-E expansion slots and I really need a AGP slot.

Can you recommend any good MB\s for ATHLON 64 with AGP slots?
And what do you think, will this upgrade be really worth it in the end?

Would like to do this upgrade and then once AM3 is reasonably priced in 2 years, do a full upgrade to PCI-E graphics and DDR3 RAM. But that is a long ways ahead.
win7 Ultimate 64bit
2 x 24" LG Monitors
Intel Core i7 920 with Xigmatek HDT-S1283
ASUS P6T WS PRO
12gigs of OCZ Gold XTC Triple Channel 6x2gig DDR3 1333MHz PC10600
XFX Nvidia GTX 260 core 216
Corsair TX750W
Cooler Master 690
HDD Total = F I V E TB!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 20 December 2006 - 09:14 AM

There are several issues here that I feel needs to be addressed first.

First of all: using a 32-bit operating system you will be limited to maybe 3.5 GB of RAM, and so won't be able to use the full 4 GB.

Also, in many cases 4 GB of RAM will be slower than 2 GB of RAM because you won't need it but the memory controller still has to keep track of it and so just slow things down needlessly.

Another thing: you're getting a new motherboard, a new processor and new RAM but still upgrading into a dead end system. Is that really a good idea? Sockets generally have little bearing on the price and you won't really get away any cheaper going 939 than AM2.

Oh and AM3 has been put on the back burner and the next socket is going to be AM2+, which also will use DDR2. AM3 won't probably be out in 2 years time if ever. Most likely you'll have to upgrade to DDR2 sooner or later anyway.

As a side note: There are some motherboards with both AGP and PCIe slots. That could offer a upgrade path worth considering.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users