Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Puppy Linux

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 18 December 2006 - 03:38 PM

Tonight I though I would give Linux a go for the first time ever. Downloaded the Puppy Linux iso, burnt the CD and booted Puppy Linux all in under 15min. All good so far. The problem started when I tried to connect to the internet. No luck. So I thought I'd come here for help.

My system is an IBM ThinkPad R51 2887-MQ5.

When I am in Windows XP if I go to Control Panel then Network Connections it shows two connections.

Local Area Connection 2: Scientific Atlanta WebSTAR 2000 series Cable Modem-Location 0 (USB Cable Modem)
Local Area Connection 3: IntelŪPRO/100 VE Network Connection-Location PCI bus 2, device 8, function 0

LAC 2 is shown as connected and LAC3 as Disabled.

The setup I have here is a cable from the wall socket which runs to a box (which I am guessing is the Scientific Atlanta Cable Modem - although I'm not 100% sure). From the box there are two cables: one to the phone and another to a USB port on my computer.

When in Puppy I selected "Connect to Internet by wired ethernet interface...". It showed Ethernet driver modules e100 and ipw2200 are currently loaded and under Interfaces it said the Puppy sees 1 active ethernet interface. I clicked on eth0 and then Test eth0 and it came back as unable to connect to the network. I tried several times to load a driver by selecting auto and then retesting but it always said that it is unable to connect to the network.

What I would like is for someone to walk me through how to set up the internet connection in Puppy Linux.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Budapest, 19 December 2006 - 03:18 AM.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 06 December 2007 - 12:18 AM

Hi Budapest,

I can't help you with your problem, however, as I have just done about the same thing that you have done, but I wanted to kind of follow this topic to see what kind of help you get.

I just made myself a Puppy live CD so that I could try out Puppy. But my problem is a bit different than yours as all the setup finds is an Ethernet connection for my modem..., but my Ethernet card has been fried for well over a year so I don't think that I'll be using it.

I have DSL service through my phone company, and a Westell modem that plugs into a USB port but Puppy doesn't seem to see it.

Anyway, I'll be reading this thread to see if I might be able to glean any information that might be of help to me.

Good luck,

♥ Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• Topic Starter

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2007 - 01:41 AM

Actually, that post is about a year old. I never did figure out how to get Puppy Linux to connect to the internet using a USB connection. However, when I switched over to an Ethernet connection it worked no problem.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope

Posted 06 December 2007 - 10:21 PM

RATS! *checking in mirror for blond hair* Thats the second tine this week that I've commented on a post that was a year old.

Maybe you can help me anyway though as you now have some experience with Puppy. I use DSL to connect to the Internet, and my modem plugs into a USB port.

When I first got the modem I had hooked it up with the Ethernet cable and it worked till a storm rolled through, and it quit. That's when I went to the USB thingy.

So... when it quit working with the Ethernet connection does that mean that connection is fried, or does it need to be reset somehow?

Thanks,

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• Topic Starter

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2007 - 01:59 AM

I'll assume you Windows XP installed on the machine in question. Check your devices in Device Manager (Start > Run > type devmgmt.msc). Can you see the ethernet connection there (on my machine it is listed under Network adapters)? You could try reinstalling the driver for it (How to update a Windows hardware driver).

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2007 - 05:28 PM

Hi Budapest, Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I do have Windows XP with SP2. Sorry I should have said that sooner. I've checked in Device Manager before and it says that all is in order, and that the device is working properly.

I just checked it again and nothing has changed. I clicked the 'Drivers' tab and used the 'Update Drivers' feature to make sure that I had the latest driver too.

I've done all of that a couple of times before but it hasn't helped over come my problem.

So... is there a chance that I'm looking at the wrong thing here? I have two entries under 'Network adapters' 1.) Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC, and 2.) Westell WireSpeed Dual Connect Modem

# 2.) is my DSL modem that I got from my ISP when I switched from Dial-up to DSL. When I first set the modem up I had it hooked up with the Ethernet cable, and plugged it into my Ethernet thingy on the back of my PC as that was my ISPs preferred method of installation.

That was working good till a storm front rolled through...and it stopped working. My ISP told me that my Ethernet Card must have gotten fried and had me switch to a USB connection. That got me back on the Internet so I was happy.

Q: Is there a way for me to check my Ethernet card to see if it was actually fried, or if the problem might lie in my modem?

Thanks,

♥ Wendy

#7 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 20 December 2007 - 11:38 AM

Hay there Wendy
I've tried two versions of Puppy so far (I've got 2.15ce now, looks nice :thumbsup: ) and haven't been able to get either online as well , I get a good connection according to Puppy but somewhere between Eth0 and the browser it gets lost and refuses to recognize it (have tried with and with out their firewall). It is the only Distro I've tried that I've not been able to figure out so far. acklan would be the one to talk to here. I looked at their user forum and no help there either. If you still want to use Puppy you might post over there and see what they say, or switch to another Distro. Any drivers you need to connect should be on the Puppy disk , I don't think upgrading the windows drivers have any effect on the linux aspect unless your using it in a virtual setup maybe.

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#8 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2007 - 02:23 AM

Hi no one, Thanks for the reply.

I made a puppy live cd to play with to see how it worked. I just can't get it to connect to the internet. My ISP is AT&T, I'm a DSL subscriber and I'm using a Westell modem to connect to the Internet with.

I just have no idea how to tell puppy to find my modem.

Happy New Year Boo!

Wendy

#9 Miljet

Miljet

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2007 - 10:22 PM

I would guess that the ethernet card is fried since it won't work in either Windows XP or Puppy Linux. (I don't know why Windows shows it is working though.) I would try a new card. They are under $20 for a new one. Or possibly borrow one from another computer to check.

#10 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 06:35 PM

Hay there Wendy
from what I've seen (not at BC )and read a while back (can't find post) others have had trouble with adsl and dynamic IP's with Puppy, plus USB modems seen to be somewhat problematic under Linux (hit or miss ?)as well. You might try DSL(Damn Small Linux, 50mb download) as it's pretty easy to get online and see what happens. Do you want a small distro or just like Puppy ? if your computer has a Athlon or P4 Cpu I'd Suggest PClinuxOS (2007) works like a charm here, but is a lot bigger download was you using a "on board" NIC or a card ? if card, do you have a on board connector as well ? (worth a shot asking) other wise a new NIC might be the easiest way to go. Hope you get if figured out :thumbsup:

Edited by no one, 31 December 2007 - 06:36 PM.

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#11 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 10:40 PM

I was just playing around with Puppy to see if I could get a feel of what Linux was like. Don't remember how I stumbled onto it but gave it a shot when I figured out how to make a Live CD to run it from.

Guess I'll check out a couple of other distros, see if I can fine another one that I can make a live CD for and play with it for awhile. um... whats an on board NIC card? and how do I find out if I have one?

Hi Miljet, Thanks for the reply.

I have a sneaky feeling that it is the modem itself that is having trouble. Back then it was still under warranty but I think my ISP was just too stingy to replace it as long as it would work on a USB connection. Can't see putting out the $$$ for a new card as long as the USB thingy works to get me online. Besides, windows says that that sucker is working fine...

Happy New Year Guys!

Wendy

#12 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 12:26 AM

Hay there Wendy
Did you happen to get a manual for the motherboard with your computer? it would show you if you had a on board nic (same as a "card" but built into the motherboard ) if you did. it may be near your usb ports on the back of your box if you do.
Happy New Year!

Posted Image

#13 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 01:41 AM

No such luck as having any manuals or setup disks, I bought my machine used and it didn't come with anything other than a 'paid' receipt so I'm out of luck there.

Thanks,

Wendy

#14 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 12:50 AM

Hay there Wendy
Well , this dog might hunt after all :thumbsup:, try this page out in xp and print it or write it down
http://www.puppy-linux.info/en/manual/puppy214/main.html
don't know what version of puppy you have ,(I've got 2.15ce) but this worked for me (I'm using Puppy as I type) Start up Puppy, go to the console icon (desktop) on the right ,click it and type " ifconfig eth0 up " (without " " marks) then goto connect icon (desktop) and select "roaring penguin " and put your login info and leave the network line blank , finish it up and see what happens , worked for me . dont forget to turn on the firewall when you get connected.
lots of good info on the left sidebar as well.

Edited by no one, 02 January 2008 - 12:52 AM.

Posted Image

#15 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 02 January 2008 - 02:21 PM

No such luck as having any manuals or setup disks, I bought my machine used and it didn't come with anything other than a 'paid' receipt so I'm out of luck there.

Thanks,

Wendy

To find out anything you want to know about your computer's internals (and more) download SIW
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users