Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Remove Windows Me

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 aqw

aqw

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 18 December 2006 - 03:11 PM

I have finally upgraded my computer, adding a new sata HD, 200GB. my old IDE HD 50GB has all my information on it w/OS-ME. My SATA has XP-SP2.
I want to use both drives, but even compressing data on the IDE I still had more than 4M MB. I can't find any help info on the ME drive, and there is no systems restore date available.
I want to remove ME from the IDE and then use XP to transfer the other data to the SATA, Am I asking for the impossible ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 18 December 2006 - 03:26 PM

Googling your question comes up solutions. One is to use an external drive enclosure such as the one in the link.http://www.coolerguys.com/840556029779.html

Another says it is likely your mother board has connections for both SATA and IDE and you can hook up your old drive to the IDE connection and transfer files over.
Of course once you have transferred the files you want to save it would just be a matter of wiping the old drive.

There may be another problem here that just came to mind. Are the file systems different? I don't know what ME uses.

Edited by buddy215, 18 December 2006 - 03:37 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 aqw

aqw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2006 - 03:40 PM

I have them both hooked to the MOBO, as I write, but Control Panel-add/remove does not recognise the programs on the IDE, just on the SATA.
I am now trying to find the information to transfer the files from the IDE to the SATA. XP will let me transfer from one computer to another, but I can't find from one drive to another, YET. I'll keep you posted.

#4 nlinecomputers

nlinecomputers

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2006 - 03:44 PM

I think you are a bit confused. Plugging in a drive as a secondary drive on your new system will not automatically install all of your old programs.

Windows will assign the old drive a new drive letter but any program you had on the old system will have to be installed on the new system. DATA on the old drive can be copied over. For example you should be able to find your old My Documents directory and copy it to your new XP system.
How to kill a programmer: Give him a shampoo bottle.
Lather, Rinse, and Repeat

http://www.wtc7.net

#5 aqw

aqw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2006 - 03:51 PM

I got that, before I did this I tried to back up the old drive, but there was too much, and I didn't have that large a CD.
Maybe I can back-up the IDE files to the SATA, then run kill disk on the IDE and reformat it. (?)

Edited by aqw, 18 December 2006 - 03:51 PM.

#6 aqw

aqw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2006 - 04:33 PM

The Files are OK, but the Windows Back-up program I used , the file extention is not read by XP, so I have to find another file.

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2006 - 05:09 PM

How to convert fat disks to NTFS
http://www.microsoft.com.nsatc.net/technet...convertfat.mspx
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#8 nlinecomputers

nlinecomputers

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2006 - 05:42 PM

The Files are OK, but the Windows Back-up program I used , the file extention is not read by XP, so I have to find another file.

I think we are still misunderstanding each other. If you take your old IDE drive and plug it into your new Xp machine do you not get a new drive letter? An E or F perhaps? And can you now use Windows Explorer to navigate the folders on this drive, drag and drop folders and files to your new Xp system? You shouldn't have to run any backup program. Just mount the drive and grab your files.
How to kill a programmer: Give him a shampoo bottle.
Lather, Rinse, and Repeat

http://www.wtc7.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users