Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Asdf.exe - How Bad Is It?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 livelychati

livelychati

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 18 December 2006 - 02:30 PM

Hello everyone,

I'm new here, and I'm new to problems of this sort. I've had a virus on my computer only once before - about a year ago.

Now, just looking through my Windows explorer in order to determine the size of some files I noticed two things that I never saw before (both on C:\):
1 - an executable file asdf.exe with a creation date of Nov. 14, 2006 and
2 - a file-folder that contained one text file only, but quite large for a txt file - 284kb. Both the txt file and the folder it's in are named 43f01b56c3a4b5becc7eb561 with the creadtion date of No. 17, 2006. I read that the asdf thingie is actually a virus, but when I right-clicked on it and chose "scan with Norton" it returned a clean bill - no virus!!! The same with the funny-name file folder and the txt file. I do believe both are "evil entities" and my first instinct was just to delete them. However, I thought better of it and decided to get help first.

3 - In addition, when turning off the computer the following happens: as it is preparing to shut off, the computer gives a warning "shutting down the ... program" for which I didn't even know existed. One is identified as ccApp, the other one only as -sw

4 - Another problem that appeared a few days ago: in the taskbar used to have little visual "dividers" between shortcuts to programs, and icons for open programs and it disappeared ....

and finally,
5 - my laptop has slowed down to a crawl! It takes forever to boot up, and when it does it takes additional time to load Norton. All in all, I wait about 5 minutes before it's fully booted and loaded. My start menu is pretty slim so it shouldn't affect the speed of booting up the computer. The laptop is 4 years old and it's loaded with just 12% of free space, and I know that will slow it up, but it's been like that for a year now and it hasn't been THIS slow. :thumbsup:

OK, I know this is a lot of questions - but all these things happened in short succession. Please help any way you can. Thanks a million. :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 18 December 2006 - 02:55 PM

I have already responded in your other thread here. Please do not duplicate postings as this causes confusion and makes it more difficult to get the help you need to resolve your issues. Thanks for your cooperation.

This thread is closed.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users