Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Service Center They Had To Replace The Hdd

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mypenry

mypenry

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 18 December 2006 - 07:18 AM

I have just recently had to take my new computer into the manufactures service center , and they had to replace the HDD, and re install the OS, Windows XP Pro Media Edition, Version 2002 , Service pack 2, Pentium ( R ) 4 CPU 3.40GHz , 1.00 GB RAM running IE6. before I had the new HDD installed etc, when I sent an email attachment with a … jpeg… photo the attachment was sent quite quickly (less than One minuet) even though I am using a slow Dial up connection (44 Kbps) now when I try and send the same attachments on the same email provider ( Gmail ) it takes over 10 minutes to send just one attachment…? . Could I have a setting some where that’s set wrong..? One other thing before the HDD problem, I think that the OS said this…

Windows XP Media Center Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600)  

Is this version any different from the one that’s just been installed by the service center…..? and could it be causing the problem..?

Your advice on this problem would be most welcome to this newbie…

Thanks ……….. Mypenry

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 19 December 2006 - 12:31 AM

Do you have the same ISP?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 mypenry

mypenry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2006 - 10:02 AM

Thanks ...acklan
for your reply, yes i am still using the same ISP, but ive just looked at the service report ( some in Thai ) and it looks as if they did not replace the HDD as I thought , and the problem was the HDD was corrupted ( what ever that means ) so now I am not too sure just what they did...?

but sending jpeg's is still a pain, ...any ideas please

thanks ......Mypenry

#4 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 19 December 2006 - 04:07 PM

If you're having the same problems, and you haven't installed anything since you've gotten it back, then there is that very good possibility they gave you back the same HD.

Here is what I would do.

1. Mark the HD in an unnoticed area, and take it back, and if you haven't installed anything, you can insist that it's doing the same exact thing.

If you suspect that they didn't change your hd in the beginning, before taking it back, you'll need to document the UPC or serial no# that's on it. You can go as far as making a hidden id mark on it, and only you'll know for sure if are given the same item back. Although just writing down the serial no# or such should be good enough, I like to make sure that I don't just have the same product, but with a different housing or such.

Another point is, it's very possible to put another UPC or other id in it's place and you'll think you have a new product. I believe Ronald Reagan once said, "Trust, but verify." Mark your items before sending them back to any place.

2. Go buy a temporary hd. Simple, if you can afford to rent a hd, just go and buy the hard drive and install it with your basics, and try to do your jpg's and such for that computer, and if it works fine, then

a. chances are you probably never got a newer hd .... OR......
b. the new hd could be faulty too. I had that happen to me. Even after I took my original one back to the store, the replacement they gave me was fualty right from the start. The next one I made sure I saw him crack open the box and take out the new one.

The good thing about renting a new hd is that as long as you have your receipt (and also the packaging, (inclucding the plastic seal)), you can take it back within 30 days to the store and they'll refund you your money. That's an option you can always have work for you. And it only costs probably some gas fare in the end.

But, I personally would take it back, and have them take another look at the problem. And if you do rent another hd 1st, and everything works out ok, you can have that as your proof that the problem has to be the hd,,,as long as you're not installing ANYTHING after your initial Windows install. You don't need any other programs for your images either to send, receive and look at them, by default.

And if your hd is bad, it will slow down your Internet speed, your computer, ...and all other undetermined problems WILL come up, and eventually crash your computer.

#5 mypenry

mypenry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2006 - 07:56 AM

Thanks … guy’s well after looking at the service report a bit more ( some parts written in Thai) it now seem’s the service center did not replace the HDD, they said the fault was the HDD was corrupted ( not too sure what that means ) and they had to re install every thing from the set manufactures recovery CD’s that came with the computer ( Acer E500 ) I lost some information ( my fault for not backing up ) , Ive reset all the past security. Service, settings the same as before the HDD problem, but now still have the problem when sending a Jpeg attachment with an email or trying to attach an Jpeg image on a forum post, at the moment its taking between 7 -12 minutes an attachment , I am running IE6 with full Microsoft up dates, the only strange thing ive now noticed from before the HDD problem is ive got Zone Labs Installed and in the traffic icon at the bottom it shows red / green internet traffic flow, when I send an attachment the red / greed moving bars on the traffic flow icon keep stopping and starting , this happens only when sending an a Jpeg attachment, where as be fore the green / red bars kept moving all the time while an attachment was being sent…?

Any ideas please…. Thanks Mypenry

#6 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2006 - 09:19 AM

they said the fault was the HDD was corrupted ( not too sure what that means )

It means that your hard drive is bad.
It means that you need a new hard drive.
It means that the problems your computer is experiencing will eventually get worse.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2006 - 05:34 PM

While the hard drive is likely bad - it's not certain since all they mentioned was corruption. I'd use a boot disk with the hard drive manufacturer's tools to ascertain the exact status of the disk (they're usually free).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users