Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Window Xp Slow Startup

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 boatdriver

boatdriver

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 18 December 2006 - 06:56 AM

Hello...last week my computer auto updated the windows updates and prior to I was having no issues at startup. Now it grinds and grinds for about 8 minutes and finally settles down and operates just fine. Previously, the startup was rather quick. Let me know if someone can help determine the startup issue. Also, I noticed since then I'm having a few issues with my wireless auto switching to another wireless network and I have to reconfigure and reset and then I'm fine until it happens again..

boatdriver

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2006 - 08:19 AM

Try uninstalling the Windows Updates and see if this fixes the problem. Then, to troubleshoot it, update them one at a time to see which causes the problem. There may be a specific workaround listed in the Microsoft KB for your situation.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2006 - 05:51 PM

Hello...last week my computer auto updated the windows updates and prior to I was having no issues at startup. Now it grinds and grinds for about 8 minutes and finally settles down and operates just fine. Previously, the startup was rather quick.

Same thing here. My computer did not auto-update, it auto-downloaded. Since then, 5-7minutes at 57-99% utilization, all due to wuauclt.exe. Me thinks Bill Gates redesigned his update mechanism.

Thinking it might be due to not installing, I installed the updates few days later. No improvement. So, already during the download, they changed something.
Why do I blame the update? after logging in, the first thing I clicked was Task Manager and when it came in, I watched it. Things were quiet for few seconds, icons were appearing in the system tray, ZA client icon came in and one second later wuauclt came in, and booooom into the busy work.

Edited by tos226, 18 December 2006 - 05:53 PM.

#4 mattalan

mattalan

• Banned
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2006 - 07:12 PM

Im new so dont scream at me if im not suposed to respond.
Start > Run > msconfig > startup tab > uncheck extra stuff (ex. America Online, Games, Messengers etc.) see if that helps.

#5 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2006 - 09:40 PM

Hi, NOBODY here will yell at you, because this is THE FRIENDLY FORUM :thumbsup:

Yes, you're correct that cleaning up trash is the way to go. Unfortunately, both boatdriver and I were OK before the last batch of patches came in. Speaking for myself, I think I cannot remove anything else without major damage, it's bare bones at this point :flowers:

And as I described in my post, I actually watched the Microsoft thing kick in and then the mess began.

#6 mattalan

mattalan

• Banned
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2006 - 10:57 PM

What about a system restore (while disconnected from teh internet) Restore back then disable automatic downloads/updates?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users