Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible Conflict Between Teatimer And Startup Monitor

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 18 December 2006 - 06:52 AM

On my PC I have Comodo FW, Avast Antivirus, Spybot S&D/Resident Teatimer, AdAware, AVG Antispyware, Spyware Blaster installed and up to date.

Lately when rebooting my PC I have noticed that some of the startup programmes on my taskbar will be missing and I have to reboot again. Other times it starts normally.

I also run a program called Startup Monitor and wonder if this could cause a possible conflict with SpyBot Teatimer which does a similar thing.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,744 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 18 December 2006 - 02:39 PM

I also run a program called Startup Monitor and wonder if this could cause a possible conflict with SpyBot Teatimer which does a similar thing.

No conflicts that I am aware of. Just the annoyance that both may be providing you the same info about startup programs. What startup programs seem to be missing from time to time?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2006 - 07:15 PM

Thanks for the reply Quietman7.

Spybot, ATI Catalyst Control Centre, and iTouch are the programs which do not load up and also my Philips Sound Agent 2 Sonic edge sound card icon will load but with no sound. When I have checked this it only shows the stero option, the Quad, 5.1 and digital Output S/PDIF options are greyed out. I then reboot and it usually all loads properly the second time.

When it loads properly it all works properly. I have checked for viruses, spyware etc but my system tells me it is clean. When I came on the Pc tonight I saw before signing in I had a program running which was strange as I hadn't left anything running. It was a message telling me that a registry log was missing and had been repaired from a back up.I am not very Pc technical and don't know what is wrong.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,744 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2006 - 05:26 AM

This doesn't sound like a typical problem related to malware so maybe that's why your system is coming up clean. Do you know what program alerted you to the registry log being missing?

Try running the System File Checker (SFC) to scan all protected files to verify their versions. SFC allows you to check for any corrupt system files.

To use System File Checker:
Go to Start > Run and type: sfc /scannow

Make sure that you include a space between the c and /. This command will immediately initiate the Windows File Protection service to scan all protected files, verify their integrity, and replace any problem files. You must be logged on as an administrator or as a member of the Administrators group to run sfc and it may ask you to insert your XP Installation CD so have it available.

#5 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2006 - 07:26 AM

Thanks again for your time Quietman7,

This morning I was reading a post here on the free version of Superantispyware. I decided that it wouldn't do any harm to give it a try. I downloaded and installed it but first decided to untick the two check boxes in Spybot S&D (Teatimer & the other one on the tools page)as I still think the problem is to do with running two monitor programs.

Anyway I then ran the Superantispyware program and it only found 2 adware tracking cookies which confirms my belief that my present security arrangements are working.

On quarantining the two cookies I was then asked to reboot and immediately thought "Oh Oh", but no need, my Pc restarted as smooth as it has in a long time and also quicker. I will leave the Spybot S&D Teatimer options switched off for the moment as there does seem to be some sort of conflict going on.

I would however like to run the Scannow feature you advise but will this give me any more problems as when I bought my Pc it came with Windows XP Home Edition SP1. I updated to SP2 a long time ago but my Disc is SP1. About 8mths ago I had problems due to not being so security conscious as I now am and when a workmate tried a repair from the disc we got the message that it could not do it as the Windows version was newer than the version on the disc or words along those lines. In the end he did a reformat of my Hard drive with SP1 and then I did all the updates up to and including SP2. My Pc since then has been connected to Windows/Microsoft automatic updates. When you say I may have to use my Installation disc would the SP1 version be ok or not.

Thanks again for your help.
Bluesjunior.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,744 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2006 - 08:42 AM

The main reason for using SFC is when you suspect there may be a problem with a Windows system file. SFC allows you to check for any corrupt system files. If SFC discovers that a protected file has been overwritten, it retrieves the correct version of the file from the cache folder (%Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache) or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file. System File Checker also checks and repopulates the cache folder.

If you have been performing regular updates then chances are some of the files may be identified as newer versions. I updated to SP2 a long time ago but I ordered the SP2 CD instead of downloading as I am still on dial-up. Since then there have been numerous additional updates released but I have not encountered any problems running SFC. However, per Microsoft there sometimes can be problems with using it:

When you try to run the System File Checker tool (Sfc.exe) on a Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2)-based computer, you may be prompted to insert the Windows XP SP2 CD. However, the System File Checker does not accept either the Windows XP SP2 CD or the original Windows XP CD. This problem occurs because the System File Checker must verify the SP2 files against the originally installed files. However, the System File Checker does not recognize the Windows XP SP2 CD or the Windows XP CD.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/900910

When you use the System File Checker tool (Sfc.exe) on a Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition-based computer, you may be prompted to insert one of the following:
CD 1 from the Microsoft Windows XP Professional CD package
The Windows XP Service Pack 1 CD
The Windows XP Service Pack 2 CD

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=897128

BTW, the free version of Superantispyware will not run in real-time mode...a purchased upgrade to the "Professional" version is required before this option can be activated. See here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users