Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removing Antivermins

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dumbass

Dumbass

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 18 December 2006 - 04:42 AM

Hello, I accidentally installed Antivermins. I keep getting annoying messages on the right-bottom of my screen that I need to update a virus-scanner, but I already have McAffee. Even worse is that my computer is running three or four times slower. So I did a search on google to find out how to get rid of it. I first found this site: remove-antivermins.org/. That site recommends using XoftSpy so I installed it, registered it, and ran it. It looked like it was doing a good job, it claimed it found a list of adware etc. and deleted them. But the update-messages remained, antivermins was still active. So I tried several forums, one of them was this one. I found this: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/69886/how-to-remove-antivermins-antiverminser-or-antivermeans-removal-instructions/ and I tried it. I did everything as was recommended, but here's the problem: the uninstall-guide says that I should let disk-cleanup perform it's task, but it's been "cleaning up" for over eight hours now and there doesn't seem to be any progress! It's still calculating how to comprise old unused files. I actually had the same problem a while ago when defragmentating; it just lasts forever. I think there should be a way to set disk-cleanup to not comprise the old files, but how? Or do I actually have to wait for a week until it's finished?

Thanks

Mod Edit: Topic moved to a more appropriate forum.

Edited by quietman7, 18 December 2006 - 09:21 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dumbass

Dumbass
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2006 - 04:45 AM

Note: I wanted to post this in the "Remove Antivermins" thread but the forum didn't allow me to. I didn't know where else to post this, so I just posted it here.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,905 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2006 - 09:30 AM

XoftSpy is one of the de-listed "rogue/suspect" anti-spyware programs found here. It was listed there because of concerns with false positives, questionable license terms, and the use of aggressive, deceptive advertising. The vendor took steps to address these concerns so it was removed from that list. However, I would still recommend you use an anti-spyware program with a proven track record.

See BC's List of Virus & Malware Resources.
See BC's Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps.

As for your problem with Antivermins, see the self-help guide How to remove AntiVermins
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Dumbass

Dumbass
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2006 - 03:51 PM

Thanks for the info on XoftSpy. I've followed the tutorial on how to remove Antivermins, like I wrote in my first post. But I still have the problem of disk-cleanup, I started running it nearly 24 hours ago and it still hasn't shown any signs of progress. Is it normal that it takes so long for a disk-cleanup? I've got a AMD64 1.8Ghz with 200MB HD and 1024MD memory. When I first got it it didn't take so long for a disk-cleanup, but now my HD is filled for about 80% so maybe that's the reason. I had that problem already before Antivermins.

A friend of mine suggested that I should do a system-recovery, though I've never done that. It might be a better option since I'd get rid of XoftSpy as well plus whatever else happened to my computer. But would it work?

Edited by Dumbass, 18 December 2006 - 03:52 PM.

#5 JustWendy

JustWendy

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2006 - 04:19 PM

I had the same problems you describe. I downloaded Panda Antispyware and it found it and deleted it. The pesky icon is no longer at the taskbar and I no longer get the "alerts". However, Panda keeps asking me if I want to delete this. It's as if Antivermin keeps trying to work its way back in. I would love to have it disappear forever... every trace of it.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,905 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2006 - 06:56 PM

Dumbass you certainly can use System Restore to return to a previous state before your problems began. Running disk cleanup may indeed be related to your 80% filled hard drive so the restore will not resolve that issue. You need to free up some space or get another hard drive.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users