Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Putting A Pc Together For First Time, Need Some Double Checks And Whatnot

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Caelitis

Caelitis

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 18 December 2006 - 03:13 AM

Im putting my first PC together from scratch, and although Im pretty sure everything here works with each other, before I get them, I wanna make sure they are all compatable with each other, and Im picking out which ones would work best ( Ive never really worked with hardware :thumbsup: ) Well, here it goes-

Video Card ->
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814102022
This seems good, but Im no expert. Would this be good for graphics intensive games for a while, or should go for something a bit pricier?

Mobo ->
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16813186070
Kinda just picked this outta the bunch because it has 4 memory slots and works with my processor.

Processor ->
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16819116253
I wanted a Dual cored processor that didnt cost much, and this is what caught my eye.

Power Supply ->
http://www.newegg.com/product/Product.asp?...N82E16811119077
Only posting this because Im not sure if this will be enough to power everything listed above, plus a small fan or two if it gets too hot.

Any help is appreciated in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2006 - 04:15 PM

Looks good, except for one thing.....your link to your power supply unit is actually link to your case. If you're worried about cooling for your components, you can look at this case HERE. It's a bit pricey (just over $100), but well worth it IMHO. My friend has one and loves it. It's very quiet and his system never gets hot.

For a PSU, just don't get a cheap one. Get one that has at least 18v on the +12 line, and plenty of watts (I'd go with at least 500w). Don't skimp on the psu, or you'll pay for it down the road!

Hope this helps! :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#3 tripflex

tripflex

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 18 December 2006 - 05:16 PM

everything looks good, i agree with what steve said, because later on you could want to have 2 cd roms, and 2 hard drives, you never know. And trust me, from personal experience i've had to smack myself for saving 20 bucks because i went with a cheap PSU. A lot of cases that come with PSU's are going to have small PSUs in it. I definately suggest upgrading that, or a UPS. Atleast one of the ones you can buy at like best buy just so if you lose power for a minute you whole computer doesn't take a dump. ;-)
There's no place like 0.0.0.0, i'm tired of being at 127.0.0.1

#4 Caelitis

Caelitis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2006 - 06:11 PM

Thanks for the replies so far, I appreciate it!

Anyways, while on the topic, I have a question for you :

Ive been reading up on guides on how to make comps, particuarily setting up the BIOS during a first launch. Is it very complicated, like Im interpreting it?

#5 dogslikeus

dogslikeus

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2006 - 07:43 PM

in terms of the graphics card, you may want to look at some of the 7600 GTs. they priced about the same as the x1900 but in general have higher core and memory clocks. the only thing to look out for is that their memory bus is only 128bits to the x1900's 256 bit bus. but the higher clocks appear to be making up for this. if you wanted to go slightly higher you could also look at the 7900gs.

i'm a big fan of ASUS motherboards, but that's just personal preference.

i might suggest going for the E6300 instead of the presler processor, but that's just me. the core 2 duo's are performing really well and since you mentioned wanting to be good for a decent period of time, i'd recommend this. however it is a bit more expensive.

and i'd also recommend going for at least a 500w psu. enermax make pretty good psus, in my experience.

#6 dogslikeus

dogslikeus

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2006 - 09:31 PM

also, about the graphics card, we are on the cusp of directX 10. the only dx10 capable cards out, at the moment, are the geforce 8800s which range anywhere from $450-1000. they are behemoths that can play anything you throw at them at maximum resolution, but the cost is a killer. they'll probably stay at that price point until AMD releases their dx10 cards early next year.

the reason this is important is because games are going to start switching to dx10 probably mid to late next year. i imagine for the first year or so most games will support dx9 and 10, but after that, as the price of dx10 cards come down, they will switch to dx10 only.

you may want to keep this in mind when buying a graphics card as you don't want to drop $400 on a top of the line dx9 card that will be useless in a few years. well, mostly useless.

i'd say going for a mid range card now and saving up for a dx10 card is the best way to go.

#7 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2006 - 09:52 PM

Thanks for the replies so far, I appreciate it!

Anyways, while on the topic, I have a question for you :

Ive been reading up on guides on how to make comps, particuarily setting up the BIOS during a first launch. Is it very complicated, like Im interpreting it?

Hmmmmm....I've assembled quite a few computers, and only had to make changes in the BIOS once to force it to boot from CD first...but that was years ago, and I don't even remember the brand of the mobo that I was tinkering with. Should be fairly simple...assemble everything correctly, taking your sweet time. Check to ensure that everything's connected right. Check it again. Double check it. Then, double check it again. Then, call a buddy over to check it...and have him double check it...then call another.....well, you get the idea. Upon booting, the comp will look for the OS in the floppy, then the HDD, then the CDrom or DVD, which ever is installed. It'll go from there and begin the install of the OS. I usually let the OS format the drive before installing, this may take a while depending on the size of your hdd.

Best advice is to take your time...go for quality, not quantity. Get it right the first time so you don't fry parts thus costing yourself money! If you're unsure of something, then don't do it. Get help, even post back here. If you fry your mobo and cpu becuase you did something wrong instead of asking for help, not only will you be out a wad of cash, you'll be upset too! Also, (again) don't skimp on the psu, even if it says it's a great deal and is 500w, you get what you pay for with them...I learned that the hard way...bought a cheap PSU and had to replace it in order to run my graphics card! :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#8 Detox

Detox

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2006 - 10:47 PM

I would suggest, if you're willing to drop a bit more dough, to get this CPU instead.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16819115005

It's ALOT faster than the one you picked, and it's pretty future proof. The only downside is that you might have to get a different mobo.

Edited by Detox, 18 December 2006 - 10:47 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users