Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Parallel Xp Pro Installations

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 emstexasusa

emstexasusa

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 18 December 2006 - 02:49 AM

Need some advice on how to proceed.

We have a dual boot XP Pro/98 standalone-no network.

C drive = Win98---Fat32---30 GB
D drive = empty—Fat32---30 GB
E drive = XP Pro—NTFS—80 GB
F drive = no OS---NTFS----80 GB

The current XP installation is a mess, due to a variety of issues (hdwe, software, registry hacking). I’ve lost track the number of repair installs done. My husband and I are the only users; our data is on the same drive as XP. There is so much data that I don’t want to even try to back it up. Also, we need to update the bios.

If I install (parallel) XP on the D drive (need to convert FAT32 to NTFS), will we be able to move the data from the original XP install to the new XP install?

Another alternative---since the current D drive is only 30 GB, I was considering replacing it with a new larger drive. Is there a way to move our data files (mostly Word, Excel, and pictures to the new drive, then reformat the E drive and do a clean install and still be able to access the data that was moved using the original installation?

Assuming that we keep both XP’s on separate drives, is there a way that both can access/share data files??

Should the bios update (flash) be done first??

Thanks!!
:thumbsup:
It’s been lovely, but I have to go scream now…

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2006 - 05:46 AM

Need some advice on how to proceed.

We have a dual boot XP Pro/98 standalone-no network.

C drive = Win98---Fat32---30 GB
D drive = empty—Fat32---30 GB
E drive = XP Pro—NTFS—80 GB
F drive = no OS---NTFS----80 GB

The current XP installation is a mess, due to a variety of issues (hdwe, software, registry hacking). I’ve lost track the number of repair installs done. My husband and I are the only users; our data is on the same drive as XP. There is so much data that I don’t want to even try to back it up. Also, we need to update the bios.

If I install (parallel) XP on the D drive (need to convert FAT32 to NTFS), will we be able to move the data from the original XP install to the new XP install?

Move the data yes. Move programs no. I am answering a question you did not ask in case you need to know this information. Programs have to be installed unlike data. The program is embedded in windows. You just cannot simply move it.
The data on the other hand can be transferred any wheres there is a compatible partition.
What I would do is what you describled, except I would keep my data on a separate partition. This way if you have to reinstall XP or 98 all you will have to do is the installation with out worrying about transferring file.
Open up two windows. One is where your files\folders are at, and one where you want them to be. Then just click, drag, and drop. Entire folders, not just files, can be done this way.

Another alternative---since the current D drive is only 30 GB, I was considering replacing it with a new larger drive. Is there a way to move our data files (mostly Word, Excel, and pictures to the new drive, then reformat the E drive and do a clean install and still be able to access the data that was moved using the original installation?

Assuming that we keep both XP’s on separate drives, is there a way that both can access/share data files??

Yes that is perfect workable. Unless you have programs you cannot replace I really do not see why you would want to do that. Especially if that install is that bad off.

Should the bios update (flash) be done first??

Thanks!!

I would flash the BIOS prior to any updates.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 18 December 2006 - 08:18 AM

IMO, Windows seems to prefer to work from the C: drive - so I'd copy your data to the D: drive, then format and install XP on the C: drive. Then you can move your data back at your leisure.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2006 - 08:45 AM

I was under the impression that they wanted a dual boot computer?

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2006 - 09:38 AM

D'oh! :thumbsup: That'll teach me to start answering posts before I've had my coffee! Thanks acklan!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 emstexasusa

emstexasusa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2006 - 11:10 AM

[quote name='emstexasusa' post='414894' date='Dec 18 2006, 01:49 AM']Another alternative---since the current D drive is only 30 GB, I was considering replacing it with a new larger drive. Is there a way to move our data files (mostly Word, Excel, and pictures to the new drive, then reformat the E drive and do a clean install and still be able to access the data that was moved using the original installation?

Assuming that we keep both XP’s on separate drives, is there a way that both can access/share data files??[/quote]
Yes that is perfect workable. Unless you have programs you cannot replace I really do not see why you would want to do that. Especially if that install is that bad off.

[quote name='emstexasusa' post='414894' date='Dec 18 2006, 01:49 AM']

Reinstalling any programs is not a problem.

I guess I'm having a brain fart.

From the new XP install on D, will we still have access to the data(non-program)files that are still on the original XP install on E? If I move the current data we want to save to the Shared Documents folder, then we can just copy from the original to the new?

Also, on the new install, I want to keep the data and the program files on different drives(partitions). So when we install the new hard drive to replace the current empty D drive, I should partion the new HD into at least two, maybe more partitions. How much space should I use for XP and programs?

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2006 - 01:36 PM

It depends on how much space you are using now, and was you have plans to add. If you surf and save photos them 30Gb should be plenty for a XP\programs partition. If you games or like to acquire software then I would go for a much larger partition.
Remember drive a fairly cheap. At Price Watch you can find a 500Gb drive for less than $200.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2006 - 12:11 AM

You may not have immediate access to the data on the other XP installation - because of the security/permissions issues that come with the NTFS file system (and Windows).

But, usually all that is required is to take ownership of them - or even just place them in the Shared Documents folder so that everyone can get at them.

#9 emstexasusa

emstexasusa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2006 - 01:08 AM

I will probably use FAT32 for the new drive until everything is done and then convert it to NTFS if we ever have a network.

Thanks!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users