Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hd Enclosure Problems

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 hotdam

hotdam

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 18 December 2006 - 02:16 AM

i recently bought a compusa hard drive enclosure for my Western Dgital hard drive that was in a old computer of mine. I followed the instructions for the and everything seemed to go well but the computer is not showing the hardrive on the My Computer screen. although the computer has installed the drivers for the enclosure and it recognized the hard drive but i cant acces the WD Hard drive. need help PLEASE

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 18 December 2006 - 03:24 AM

Right click My Computer and select Manage, then go to Disk Management in the left pane. What do you see?

You might double check the drive's jumper settings, make sure it's set to master or single. I think WD drives also have a setting for master w/ slave present, avoid that setting as well.
Posted Image

#3 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 18 December 2006 - 09:33 AM

Every enclosure that I have seen requires that the hard drive be set as master make sure that CS (cable select ) has not been used.

most of the shelf machines are set as CS when the computer is assembled.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#4 hotdam

hotdam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 18 December 2006 - 03:55 PM

I think I figured out the problem, but i cant seem to fina a solultion. By reading another post on here with a similar situation, i realized that both the hardrive in th computer and the WD hardrice are set to the Drive letter C:, making the WD hardrive not being seen on the My Computer screen. but i cant seem to find way how to change it.

#5 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 18 December 2006 - 09:29 PM

Start > control panel > performance and maintenance > Administrative tools > computer management > Disk management

find the usb enclosure drive in the right pane select it

go to action > all tasks > change drive letter and paths

also make sure that the drive is formatted
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users