Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My computer is running slow, to the point of stopping some t

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Uraiser

Uraiser

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 28 December 2004 - 09:44 PM

Hello, im new to these forums. I've had this same problem before, its where my computer slows down whenever I play a game or watch a movie on my computer and eventually just plain stops, it then speeds up again and everthing is fine and back to normal for a little while. It'll start doing it again after a while, now, before I've got thats problem from Kazaa, but i've not used kazaa in over a year. Im not that stupid to get the program that loaded my computer with viruses so long ago. My question is, how can i fix this? I'll post a Hijack log if needed.. Thanks..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2004 - 10:25 PM

Before posting a log, do the following:
1. Update and scan your HD with you resident AV.
2. Update and scan your HD with whichever adware application you normally use.
3. Review what programs and applications launch at start up; some of these may not be needed and can be eliminated. Each application that runs in the background uses some computing power; many tend to slow down whatever applications you are actually using.
4. For those programs that seem to slow down, make sure it is the only one running.
5. In Safe Mode, run Scandisk and then defrag your computer.

Taking these five steps may resolve the issue. If not, then it would be appropriate to submit a Hijack Log with the reason you are doing so.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Uraiser

Uraiser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2004 - 10:28 PM

i appriciate your reply, I've done several scans with my AV, ad aware, spy subtract, spy bot, PC resuce, etc. Nothing ever turns up except some basic spy and adware that is removed easily. When i had my computer in the shop, they said this was a virus, though my AV is 2004, and all defenitions are up to date, nothing ever comes up.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2004 - 11:23 PM

Having tried all the steps I mentioned, then read the instructions for posting a Hijack This log and post in the appropriate forum. Kindly bear in mind that it is run by volunteers, so a response might not be immediately forthcoming.
Cheers,
John

#5 Uraiser

Uraiser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2004 - 11:44 PM

I know, im sorry for being pushy if i am. This problem can just be very irritating.. I posted a log in the Hijack this forum.

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2004 - 03:20 AM

Great. The only reason I mentioned that you might have to wait is a combination of the holidays/vacations, and the increase in logs being posted recently. I am sure one of the fine people who man the forum will get to your problem as fast as they can.
Cheers,
John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users