Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Add Password To Windows Folder ?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gibby_G

gibby_G

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 18 December 2006 - 01:33 AM

As title says, how can i secure my files in Windows by adding a password to the folder? :thumbsup:

Thanks for help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 18 December 2006 - 03:41 AM

Windows doesn't exactly allow this natively. If you have XP Pro you have more options to secure your files than you do with XP Home, but if you're logged into your own account you basically still have access to all the files and folders you have ownership permissions for.

If you have XP Home, stick whatever files and folders you want protected in your My Documents folder, set a password for your account and log out when you're not using the computer. If someone else logs in to your machine they won't have access to that folder. You can also hide a folder by right clicking on its properties and setting to to hidden. (It will still appear in explorer if you have the option set to show hidden files and folders, although you can make it disappear from there as well if you do an attrib +s +h at the command line.) It's not completely secure this way, the files can still appear in a search, but they're not immediately visible.

If you have XP Pro, you have some more options to play with. Read up on the file permissions available with NTFS.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/s...esscontrol.mspx
Posted Image

#3 Sam Miller

Sam Miller

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 18 December 2006 - 04:30 PM

Hi!

Security is what I'm concerned about myself and what I deal with as a product manager at my day job. So, answering your question: there are plenty ways to stay secure in Windows and protect your files and folders with password. What I would recommend:

1) If you need to protect just one folder or file, then you may use some simple archiving program, such as WinZip or WinRAR the newest versions use good crypto-algorithm, so that it will not be easy to find out your password;

2) If you need to protect a lot of files and folders then consider using crypto-disk, it's just a logical disk that appears in My Computer and it's very easy to deal with. Most know is PGP (as far as I know it's fee for non-commercial purposes), but I do personally prefer TrueCrypt (it's freeware and very nice).

3) Now, what do you miss? There are some other security holes - the first one is key logging and the second one is file recovering.

To prevent key-logging (when someone could find out what password you have typed), you can use some anty-spyware program or some anti-keylogger or better some popular antivirus software that usually includes anti-keylogger function.

To protect yourself against file recovering you should use some file shredder, these programs overwrite data when you delete it, so it's actually deleted in this way. If you are serious about your security then consider using background mode file shredder, this will keep secure deleted even temporary files created by office programs.

4) Finally, about security. It's impossible to break the password if intruder will not find a password protected file itself... I'm not actually recommend steganography software, but consider renaming your files, so that your important document file name should sounds like "doc1" rather than "top secret". Also, you might what to consider cleaning recent files in Windows, so that it would be hard to trace your steps.

Hope, I helped a little.

Thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users