Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anyone Here Knows What Went Wrong With This?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 aq2

aq2

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 18 December 2006 - 12:18 AM

Hi, this will be kind of hard for me to explain but i try.

My uncle dell computer was acting bad and slow etc,.Has no spyware that i can see. So i ran the error-checking tool and it went crazy,It was fixing all kind of files, then it started to replace invalid security Id with default security ID with numbers going from 1 to 50000 after that it rebooted,Now The defrag does not seem to work,when i click on his login it takes forever to load and when it does load the start menu is not found, besides the defrag and no start menu his system is running alot better. The only problems are the slow login it hangs at the welcome screen and then it will show the background pick then after a few the icon will pop up and that it,.

Anyone have a clue on whats going on??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2006 - 08:12 AM

Try this free tool: http://safety.live.com/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 aq2

aq2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2006 - 12:13 PM

Hi, thanks Will try tonight when he off work.I think this is a non malware related problem but will give this program a go . thanks

#4 tripflex

tripflex

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 18 December 2006 - 05:09 PM

I'd say just wipe it out and do a new install. Save any important files and just re-install windows, then you will be sure to wipe out whatever the problem is. Usually the last resort, but i've done it so many times im used to backing up all my files... ;-)
There's no place like 0.0.0.0, i'm tired of being at 127.0.0.1

#5 aq2

aq2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2006 - 11:24 PM

Well i think i have found the problem.

RPC is not working ,Im not sure what happen but thats whats going on.

When i goto to the services it says automatic but when i right click on it and at the top of the menu it says start

So RPC got shut down and thats why the computer is not working like it should

Any fix or just reinstall windows??

Thanks

I get a Error 5 Access is denied..

Can someone tell me how Im able to use this pc when RPC is not working
?

We gave up for the night, But after we ran the error checking and it did all that deleting/fixing etc etc and restated the pc it died. So i opend the c:windows and went to the system 32 and clicked on the control exe to start the control pannel. and then went to the services and got looking and RPC is set to automatic but when i righ clicked on it, it said start. and when i try to start it i get access is denied . I'm not sure how but while doing the error-check and all the stuff it done, RPC pooped out and died.

Edited by aq2, 18 December 2006 - 11:54 PM.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2006 - 12:33 AM

You are getting lot's of problems in different, unrelated areas (unrelated for normal Windows operations that is). The primary source of unrelated problems like this is malware.

Without a double check on your antivirus/antispyware software you're not assured of a fix. For example, tonight I worked on a system where the McAfee antivirus would scan the system and report no viruses. But my Webroot System Analyzer found 2 trojans and 8 spyware programs. Obviously the McAfee had been corrupted by the viruses - so we had to remove the stuff using other tools.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 aq2

aq2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2006 - 12:48 AM

Recovery Console

Think by using recovery console may get Rpc working again?

I can not hardly use anything on his pc as rpc is not working like it should,no start menu, Only way i can start programs is by going into windows(and system32 folder) and starting that away.When i go back to his pc on tuesday i try and run hijackthis and post the log but I do not find much wrong with it.Unless there is a rootkit installed and someone has totally took over his pc.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2006 - 08:33 AM

If it's a virus you may be able to start it in Recovery Console - but you won't keep it running.

About HJT - this is from Merlin's site:

... It does not target specific programs/URLs, just the methods used by hijackers to force you onto their sites.

In this case you're facing something that isn't trying to force you to stay online - but rather something that's forcing your system to shut down.

#9 aq2

aq2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2006 - 10:21 AM

Hi,I'm in training at the MRU site and from what i have been looking at Im not finding any malware unless there is a hidden rootkit or something that bad. Yea the whole system is not running propely ,I be able to work on it when hes off work tonight around 4pm tonight.

I think its a internal windows error(something along that liine) more then a virus

#10 aq2

aq2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2006 - 06:37 PM

Posted the log in the hijackthis forum on this site if you want to take a look at is

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 08:24 AM

I tried to learn the anti-spyware trade a while back and wasn't real successful at it. I leave it to the experts.

Let's leave it alone until the experts declare it clean - and then we can fix the Windows errors.

#12 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 20 December 2006 - 10:29 AM

aq2,

Because you shouldn't make any changes to your system, while your HJT log is posted, as that could change the results of the posted log, making it difficult to properly clean your system, I'm closing this topic until you are cleared by the HJT Team.
At this point, the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

If, after your log has been cleaned, you still need help, please PM a Moderator and we will re-open this topic.
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to PM me.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users