Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New, Virulent Cabir Mobile Phone Worms Spotted

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 28 December 2004 - 09:29 PM

By Paul Roberts
IDG News Service, 12/28/04

Two new versions of a computer virus that affects mobile phones were discovered Monday with new features that allow them to spread more quickly between vulnerable devices, according to antivirus company F-Secure Corp.

Cabir.H and Cabir.I are the latest versions of a worm that was first identified in June and affect Symbian Ltd. mobile phones. There are no reported infections from the new worms. However, F-Secure said that the new viruses fix a problem with earlier versions of Cabir that prevented that worm from spreading quickly between mobile phones.

Like the original Cabir worm, dubbed Cabir-A, the new Cabir variants spread between mobile phones using a specially formatted Symbian operating system distribution (or SIS) file disguised as a security management utility. When the infected file is launched, the mobile phone's screen displays the word "Caribe" and the worm modifies the Symbian operating system so that Cabir is started each time the phone is turned on.

Complete Story Here

Edited by scarlett, 30 December 2004 - 02:49 PM.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 30 December 2004 - 08:50 AM

Follow-up Article

Mobile Phone Virus Augurs Growing Threat

By Jay Lyman
TechNewsWorld
12/29/04 10:49 AM PT

Ken Dunham of iDefense called the availability of the Cabir source code an ominous sign. "Whenever you see the source code available on the underground, the more likely it is to be exploited," he said.

..."Cabir originally would only spread to one new phone per reboot," F-Secure said. "Cabir.H and Cabir.I can spread to an unlimited number of phones per reboot."...

Complete article
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users