Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Searching Drive (linux Vs. Winxp)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tristanolas

tristanolas

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 17 December 2006 - 08:12 PM

I'm trying to use the comand prompt XP to do really simple file management tasks. Options seem very limited. I can't even find info on searching a drive for a folder. I also am unable to search for only the last 2 text folders created on C:\ drive

is linux pretty similar to windows XP command line in this way, or does it allow more freedom & simplicity?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 silmaril8n

silmaril8n

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 18 December 2006 - 02:56 AM

If the command line is where you feel comfortable then Linux will soar for you.

A simple two step process will find anything you want:

sudo updatedb
slocate %term%

#3 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 18 December 2006 - 02:27 PM

This is not really a Linux question per se, but there are several ways of using the command line in Windows to accomplish what you want. One way is to use ATTRIB to find a particular folder.
EXAMPLE:
attrib c:\command.com /s
This will find the command.com file in every directory on drive C and display the attributes.

NOTE: When using DIR or ATTRIB, you must specify that the search start at the root path in order to search the entire drive, or you can specify a pathname if you want to restrict the search to a certain branch of the directory tree.

Of course, there is the FIND command, as well as QGREP. Windows has many equally usable command line tools, so it is a matter of learning to understand the help each of the tools provides. Linux is not going to give you any more freedom or flexibility until one learns the tools.

#4 nlinecomputers

nlinecomputers

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2006 - 03:07 PM

Linux has a very powerful filtering tool called grep. You can pipe any output through grep and let it filter as needed.
How to kill a programmer: Give him a shampoo bottle.
Lather, Rinse, and Repeat

http://www.wtc7.net

#5 tristanolas

tristanolas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2006 - 08:13 PM

Of course, there is the FIND command, as well as QGREP. Windows has many equally usable command line tools, so it is a matter of learning to understand the help each of the tools provides. Linux is not going to give you any more freedom or flexibility until one learns the tools.

thanks, I'd overlooked the find command. for the QGREP command I need Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools, but I'm on XP.

since this is becoming more of a windows than unix topic, I posted remaining questions
on the XP forum

Edited by tristanolas, 18 December 2006 - 09:02 PM.

#6 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 18 December 2006 - 09:20 PM

QGrep can be downloaded as part of the resource toolkit:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;DisplayLang=en

:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users