Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dvd-rw Drive Won't Erase Cd-rw's Or Dvd-rw's

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 no1boomer

no1boomer

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 17 December 2006 - 06:21 PM

I have a NEC DVD-RW model ND-3500AG which supports just about every type of cd or dvd including CD+RW, CD-RW, DVD+RW and DVD-RW. It will write the the cd's or dvd's o.k. but using re-writable cd's or dvd's it will not erase the data. It treets the RW cd's and DVD's the same as CD-R's and DVD-R's. I have the latest drivers installed. I have tried uninstalling the DVD drive in the device manager and letting windows re-install it. I can't seem to get it to write over using re-writable disks. Any ideas on something that I might be missing?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 17 December 2006 - 09:34 PM

Sounds like you need to use a packet writing program for the RW discs

Nero InCD comes to mind.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 18 December 2006 - 07:57 AM

Are you using XP's writer? I don't think it'll erase. It just records. I would recommend looking into Ashampoo Burning Studio. Much smaller foot print than Nero, Roxio, etc and very easy to use. Packet writing, (right click, send to the disc) causes lots of problems.

#4 no1boomer

no1boomer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2006 - 11:19 AM

If I use Nero InCD and tell it to format the cd-rw or dvd-rw to use to drag and drop files to, it formatts it o.k. but when I put the cd/dvd back in the drive InCD tells me that it is a read-only disc and can read from it but cannot write to it.

Edited by no1boomer, 18 December 2006 - 11:20 AM.

#5 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2006 - 09:48 PM

Is this happening after you've used the disk once? I'm not familiar with Nero, but it sounds like it's finalizing (closing) the disks. You need to look for settings for multi-session and/or see if there's an option checked to close the disk after burning, and un-check it. If it's finalizing, you won't be able to add more data to fill it up.

#6 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 19 December 2006 - 12:54 AM

1. XP's writer will erase discs. I've used it many times.
2. If you have a burner, whether you're multi-sessioning or not, the disc will erase.
3. If you uninstall the drivers for the burner, DO NOT let windows reinstall them. Do it manually with your disc, because it may be reinstalling the same corrupt files.

Try this program.. it's FREE. DeepBurner http://www.deepburner.com

After you uninstall your burner software, just load up the DeepBurner, and see if it takes over.

If that doesn't work, then you'll need to do a registry cleaner on your computer after you've uninstalled your burner software. A good FREE registry cleaner can be found here. Eusing Free Registry Cleaner 1.2 http://www.eusing.com/free_registry_cleane...try_cleaner.htm

You may want to use the registry cleaner before installing the DeepBurner, just so you'll eliminate the possiblilty of your corrupted files still being initiated later on.

#7 no1boomer

no1boomer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2006 - 04:38 PM

Is this happening after you've used the disk once? I'm not familiar with Nero, but it sounds like it's finalizing (closing) the disks. You need to look for settings for multi-session and/or see if there's an option checked to close the disk after burning, and un-check it. If it's finalizing, you won't be able to add more data to fill it up.

I am using new disks right out of the box.

#8 no1boomer

no1boomer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2006 - 04:42 PM

1. XP's writer will erase discs. I've used it many times.
2. If you have a burner, whether you're multi-sessioning or not, the disc will erase.
3. If you uninstall the drivers for the burner, DO NOT let windows reinstall them. Do it manually with your disc, because it may be reinstalling the same corrupt files.

Try this program.. it's FREE. DeepBurner http://www.deepburner.com

After you uninstall your burner software, just load up the DeepBurner, and see if it takes over.

If that doesn't work, then you'll need to do a registry cleaner on your computer after you've uninstalled your burner software. A good FREE registry cleaner can be found here. Eusing Free Registry Cleaner 1.2 http://www.eusing.com/free_registry_cleane...try_cleaner.htm

You may want to use the registry cleaner before installing the DeepBurner, just so you'll eliminate the possiblilty of your corrupted files still being initiated later on.

Thanks Walkman. This sounds like some good information. I will try your suggestions as soon as I can, which may not be until later in the week.

#9 no1boomer

no1boomer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 12:16 PM

I uninstalled the dvd drive and Nero software. Cleaned the registry with RegClean. This is an OEM drive and I couldn'd find a driver for anything except a non-OEM drive anywhere so when I rebooted after cleaning the registry, windows re-installed the hardware using the drivers that come with XP. I then installed DeepBurner. I then wrote a small text file to a new, out-of-the-box dvd+rw disk using DeepBurner and then used DeepBurner to try to erase the disk and got a message that the medium is read-only and not erasable. I am beginning to think that the problem something is defective with the drive itself and not software related.

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 12:29 PM

You generally won't find drivers for most CD/DVD drives. The drivers are handled by the chipset drivers on the motherboard.

Since DeepBurner won't let you do it (but it works well otherwise) I'd have to assume that the drive is defective. They're fairly cheap - can you purchase one and see if that works? (make sure to get one from a store that you can return it to if money is an issue).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 no1boomer

no1boomer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2006 - 12:32 PM

Thanks usasma for your knowledgeable input. I think I'll live with what I have for awhile. Not that big of a problem. As cheap as dvd-r's are now with all the instant rebates going on I'll just stock up on them and use them when I do a backup of my hard drive instead of messing with re-writeable disks for now. Thanks all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users