Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

On Start Up - My Computer Folder Comes Up Every Time.

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 JCII

JCII

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 17 December 2006 - 03:11 PM

Hi,
I use windows XP home version and every time the computer is started the My Computer Folder opens up.
I have checked all of the startup folders. I have gone to search and looked for a startup folder I don't know and I do not know what is making this folder open up on its own.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Jeff :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 17 December 2006 - 03:30 PM

Hello, JCII:

1. Click Start, Control Panel, Appearance and Themes, Folder Options.
2. Click the View tab.
3. Uncheck the Restore previous folder windows at logon option, and then click OK.

Restart your computer to if that fixed your problem.
JC

#3 JCII

JCII
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2006 - 08:49 PM

Hi tried going into the control panel and changing these setting, but this did not solve the problem.

Jeff

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2006 - 08:07 AM

Have you recently removed a virus or spyware from your system? If so, you may have corruption in one of several places on your system.

Try running "SYSEDIT.EXE" from the Run dialog. Click on the System.ini window. Does it have a line like this?:

Shell=explorer.exe "
**This I've never seen before, and there's a huge space between the e and the ", it just won't show up on the forum**

If so, remove the extra spaces and save the file. Then reboot and see if it has fixed it.

Another suggestion was made that you look in this registry key: HKLM/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion/Winlogon

Look for the entry called "Userinit" It should have a value of: C:\windows\system32\userinit.exe If it has any extra stuff added, modify the value to be the value above.

**As with any registry edit, it's strongly recommended that you backup the registry BEFORE starting the editing process.**
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 JCII

JCII
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2006 - 08:08 PM

:thumbsup: I tried to run sysedit.exe and I get this message:

c:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. THE SYSTEM FILE IS NOT SUITABLE FOR RUNNING MS-DOS AND MICROSOFT WINDOWS APPLICATIONS. CHOOSE 'CLOSE' TO TERMINATE THE APPLICATION

If I try to type regedit I get: Regedit is not a valid win 32 application.

When I type regedit32.exe It opens a reg. editor.

I do not know how to work with the editor. I guess something is not right with the system files?

Any ideas of the best way to fix things?

Thanks,

Jeff :flowers:

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 08:37 AM

These may be symptoms of a malware infection - so it's essential that you run scans on your system with udpated definitions.

Then, as a double check, try running this free, online scan: http://safety.live.com
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 JCII

JCII
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2006 - 09:56 AM

Hi, I have been trying to stop the MY COMPUTER FOLDER from coming up each time at start up.
I have tried a few things. I have been running different programs to find spyware and malware that I have gotten from this web site but the MY COMPUTER FOLDER still comes up. I do not know very much about the reg. in the computer. Is there a program I can run to see if my reg. is ok or needs to be fixed?

I have windows XP home edition on a HP desktop/ 5 year old computer.

Thank you,

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2006 - 10:48 AM

Yes, the link that I gave you in my last post includes a registry cleaner.

#9 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2006 - 11:29 AM

Couple of questions. Are you having any other problems? Are the malware scans detecting anything? If so, can you let us know what it is finding.

I have been running different programs to find spyware and malware that I have gotten from this web site but the MY COMPUTER FOLDER still comes up.

What website are you referring to, and what programs did you use?
JC

#10 JCII

JCII
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2007 - 08:21 PM

Hi, I have run chkdsk. I tried a system restore but that does not work. I ran a scan from windows love care which said everything was ok. I ran BitDefender 8 Free Edition which showed all ok. Ran McAfee (my system's protection) and nothing showed up. Ran Microwind Malicious Removal Tool and it showed TR/Bobax.AO trogen horse virus. I clicked on delete. Ran CC Cleaner and this was ok. I ran AntiVir and it showed TR/BoBax.AO virus. When my computer is turned on the (MY COMPUTER) folder opens byitself. My computer runs very very slow, sometimes. There are 2 accounts on this computer and both accounts do the same thing. Any ideas....

Thank you,

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2007 - 10:05 PM

Try running HiJackThis to determine which startup entries are missing files. Then use msconfig or another program to stop them from running.

#12 JCII

JCII
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2007 - 04:30 PM

Hi, I ran Hijack here is what it returned:

Log removed by staff--PK

I ran MSConfigCleanup next but it did not show any start up items to clean up.

I'm not sure if I should just live with a slow machine at times and close the my computer when it opens up at start up. It seems after a bit the computer runs faster.

Thank you for you help. Anything else I should try?

Thanks,

Edited by Papakid, 10 January 2007 - 12:00 PM.

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2007 - 08:28 PM

I suspect that this is the entry that's causing the problem:
O4 - Global Startup: AcBtnMgr_X63.exe.lnk = ?

Try disabling it in msconfig and see if that helps.

#14 JCII

JCII
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2007 - 08:55 AM

I disabled that line, Global Startup... and it worked the (MY COMPUTER) folder does not startup on power up.

Thank you. I have been trying to fix this for so long. Thanks again.

Jeff

#15 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 04 January 2007 - 09:42 AM

I would say that stoping this from starting may cause issues with your printer. Personally I would say that it has lost its link with the file location. Try changing the line to this.

O4 - Global Startup: AcBtnMgr_X63.exe.lnk = C:\Program Files\LexmarkX63\AcBtnMgr_X63.exe

This is a program that is run as a manager file for your Lexmark printer. If this file does not exist in that location then try reinstalling the lexmark driver software.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users