I've got a new PC in the last 5 weeks & it's my first time using XP, it's all been working fine up until a couple of days ago. I could really do with some help as I fear I've made it worse
It just started to hang on the XP loading screen, the bar is moving then the screen fickers & it locks up. I hadn't installed anything but possibly a windows update was installed. I can load into safe mode (with networking) & I've tried a couple of things but I havent got anywhere so far. I'd really like not to have to do a full re-install of windows.
* Reading through this forum & others I've tried a system restore from Safe Mode, I went back a few days when the machine was working fine & it still hangs, oh also now I dont have any points to do a restore on so I must have broke that somehow?
* In Safe Mode I re-installed the Nvidia drivers (thinking the flicker had something to do with it) but it still hangs at the same point.
* In Safe Mode I tried removing the last 2 windows updates but it still hangs.
* I ran a virus checker & spyware checker from Safe Mode & found no problems.
* I have a custom recovery mode from the PC supplier F10 brings it up, tried to do a 'recover on the damaged operating system' it did this fine but still hangs on boot up. After I installed the Recovery Console boot option (see below) the F10 option doesn't appear.
* I installed the Recovery Console & ran a chkdsk it found & repaired a couple of bad sectors I rebooted & ran it again & it found no problems but it still hangs.
* I started to try this Fix
. If I put in the Windows CD it goes to do an install & there is no repair installation option.
I'm really at my wits end, I dont want to have to re-install everything after spending weeks sorting everything out
If anyone can help I'd really appreciate it! Is there anyway I can find out what is causing XP to hang?