Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Asus P5n32-e Sli Freezes With 4gb Corsair Xms Ram

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sageinblue

sageinblue

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 17 December 2006 - 11:20 AM

Hi all.
Just bought Asus' brand-new nVidia chipset mobo, the P5N32-E SLI.
Also bought 4GB (4 sticks) of Corsair XMS2 800MHz DDR2 RAM.
This motherboard will FREEZE when all four sticks of RAM are installed. Memtest won't even finish, about 3 minutes in, the screen turns red (I mean completely red, not just down where the errors appear) and the system freezes.
Inidividually, each stick of RAM can pass multiple memtest sessions with 0 errors.
There is a BIOS update available for the board, it helped a little but didn't fix the main problem.

I'm rapidly discovering this is a design flaw in the board.

This thread from Corsair's forums shows four or five people with the exact same problem. I'm not used to all of the overclocking settings on this board, so it's possible I haven't fiddled with them enough, but i've been screwing with it for days, and a lot of them just cause the compy not to post at all.

Any ideas? And no, "use 3GB of RAM" is not an option, lol. That's what my girlfriend told me to do. "Keep one as a spare," she said.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Archer-of-Death

Archer-of-Death

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2006 - 06:44 PM

Well, if it hasn't been 30 days just send back the motherboard and get a differenet model. You said it ws the new chipset so it's 680i, just get a different 680i model.

#3 sageinblue

sageinblue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2006 - 01:29 PM

yeah, I might have to...
I feel like it's admitting defeat but, I'm losing WoW time here, sacrifices have to be made! :thumbsup:
I have until the end of december to return, i'll probably send it back the end of the week unless anyone else has any ideas
and I think I'm done with Asus. the quality of their stuff has been dropping steadily for the last two years.
thanks

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 18 December 2006 - 02:48 PM

My recommendation is wait for a BIOS update. They will probably get the compatibility problems sorted out in time.

The problem when living on the cutting edge of technology in motherboards is that they are riddled with problems. If you think you'll get any less problem with another manufacturers 680i motherboard you in for a disappointment. If you want a problem free build you'll have to keep to older but proven technology.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2006 - 12:38 AM

Quite a few motherboard makers are having trouble with 4 gB of RAM being installed - so I wouldn't blame just Asus. I'm having troubles with my new MSI 975x mobo also - it doesn't freeze, but I'm missing about .75 gB of my 4 gB of RAM.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2006 - 06:30 AM

I'm having troubles with my new MSI 975x mobo also - it doesn't freeze, but I'm missing about .75 gB of my 4 GB of RAM.

That's a Windows limitation. A 32-bit operating system only has address space for 4GB of memory, and windows uses the address space for other stuff than RAM memory, so even if you stuff 4 GB in a machine you'll only get about 3.2-3.4 GB. You need 64-bit Xp or Vista to get it all.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2006 - 08:56 AM

Thanks Mr. Alpha! I've done a bit of research on this, but am still confused as to why, when I first started the system, it would register about 3.46 gB. And now it registers 3.25 gB. Any ideas on this?

Also, do you have any good links that describe this limitation in detail? Most of what I've found with my searching has been similar to "XP Myths" - so I'm unsure of the validity of it all.

Thanks again!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 04:50 PM

Wish I could help you. I haven't managed to sort out all the details of this limitation myself. I've searched trough Microsoft KB and tech sites but haven't found any clear information on it either.

This is what I've got so far:
  • When you have 4 GB of memory in Windows XP it shows only around 3.2-3.4 GB of memory. Other 32-bit operating systems, like Linux, shows the full 4 GB.
  • Microsoft mentions the fact that only 3.someting GB of memory is reported when 4 GB of memory is installed in several KB article but doesn't say anything about why.
  • To make matters worse System Properties and System Information reports different amounts of memory.
  • Some changes were made to the HAL in Service Pack 2 which lowered the amount of memory reported in both System Properties and System Information.

Edited by Mr Alpha, 20 December 2006 - 04:55 PM.

#9 sageinblue

sageinblue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2006 - 05:10 PM

As I understand, it'll give you 4GB MINUS your video RAM and MINUS about 100MB which is uses as a virtual pool for hard drive DMA. 64-bit operating systems will solve this problem. Also I've noticed that motherboards themselves will only allocate about 3.5 GB of RAM unless you enable the "64-bit OS Remapping" option in the BIOS.

Anyway I returned the board. For those interested, Asus P5W DH works fine with 4GB of the Corsair XMS2.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users