Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Smitfraud Wont Complete

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gonekicking

gonekicking

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 17 December 2006 - 10:58 AM

Hi and thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me.

I have been trying since yesterday to get rid of this pesky antivermins with little success. I have run every spyware scan/cleaner I can find and, several of them freeze up and wont complete their job.

This has been the case with Smitfraud as well. While attempting to folow the automatic or manual removal procedures found on this website [http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic69886.html], I have encountered the folowing issues:

1. While using Smitfraud in safemode, the disk cleanup utility freeze up and wont complete it's job. I know it can take a while but I left it going for 10 hrs and the progress bar neve moved.

2. I cant find the listed .dll files that I am asked to rename in the manual procedure. On my machine the path is C:\winnt\system32.

Now the actual anti-vermins program seems to be gone, however I am still getting the fake system warning that will take me to their page should I click on it. I am 1 step away from formatting my hardrive right now, as I am very insecure about my PC privacy.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gonekicking

gonekicking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2006 - 11:07 AM

ok after scanning with Panda, it told me that the kuhmk.dll file was there, and now I can find it...

gonna try manual removal again.

(edit)

same result

Edited by gonekicking, 17 December 2006 - 11:40 AM.

#3 gonekicking

gonekicking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2006 - 11:35 AM

ok so my disk cleanup utility wont work on it's own either, it's always gets stuck on "compressing old files", I tried to let it run that way for 10hrs and nothing.

This is my one day off and I do not want to spend all of it trying to fix this crap, if formatting will be quicker pls tell me so cause I would rather nuke all the data on my comp than let these creeps have their way with my machine.

At least I am not getting the false system alerts anymore, this is since I managed to find and rename the kumhk.dll file to.bad

Edited by gonekicking, 17 December 2006 - 11:39 AM.

#4 Dreads

Dreads

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 17 December 2006 - 03:19 PM

What smitfraud removal tool did you use...I use smitrem and smitfraudfix combined to get rid of smitfraud, both of which I have had success without running in safemode (though it is recommended you run it in safemode).

Try a selective startup in order to run it, go too-Run and type msconfig, in the general tab select selective startup and deselect all the options (you will have to restart for the selective startup to happen) after this then run your tools for the removal. Report back with how it went :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users