Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

One Hundred Years Ago

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 28 December 2004 - 08:02 PM

As we are seeing the close of yet another year. I thought I'd share some stats. regarding the year 1904.

THE YEAR 1904

Maybe this will boggle your mind, I know it did mine! The year is 1904

One hundred years ago. What a difference a century makes!

Here are some of the U.S. statistics for 1904:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The average life expectancy in the U.S. was 47 years.

Only 14 percent of the homes in the U.S. had a bathtub.

Only 8 percent of the homes had a telephone.

A three-minute call from Denver to New York City cost eleven dollars.

There were only 8,000 cars in the U.S., and only 144 miles of paved

roads.

The maximum speed limit in most cities was 10 mph.

Alabama, Mississippi, Iowa, and Tennessee were each more heavily

populated than California. With a mere 1.4 million residents, California was only the 21st most
populous state in the Union.

The tallest structure in the world was the Eiffel Tower! .

The average wage in the U.S. was 22 cents an hour.

The average U.S. worker made between $200 and $400 per year.

A competent accountant could expect to earn $2000 per year,

a dentist $2,500 per year,

a veterinarian between $1,500 and $4,000 per year, and

a mechanical engineer about $5,000 per year.

More than 95 percent of all births in the U.S. took place at home.

Ninety percent of all U.S. physicians had no college education.

Instead, they attended medical schools, many of which were condemned in the press and by the government as "substandard."

Sugar cost four cents a pound.

Eggs were fourteen cents a dozen.

Coffee was fifteen cents a pound.

Most women only washed their hair once a month, and used borax or egg yolks for shampoo.

Canada passed a law prohibiting poor people from entering the country for>any reason.

The five leading causes of death in the U.S were:

1. Pneumonia and influenza

2. Tuberculosis

3. Diarrhea

4. Heart disease

5. Stroke

The American flag had 45 stars. Arizona, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Hawaii, and Alaska hadn't been admitted to the Union yet.

The population of Las Vegas, Nevada, was 30!!!

Crossword puzzles, canned beer, and iced tea hadn't been invented.

There was no Mother's Day or Father's Day.

Two of 10 U.S. adults couldn't read or write.

Only 6 percent of all Americans had graduated high school.

Marijuana, heroin, and morphine were all available over the counter
at corner drugstores.

According to one pharmacist, "Heroin clears the complexion, gives buoyancy to the mind, regulates the stomach and bowels, and is, in fact, a perfect guardian of health."
Eighteen percent of households in the U.S had at least one full-time
servant or domestic.

There were only about 230 reported murders in the entire U.S.

Try to imagine what it may be like in
another

100 years ... it staggers the mind.

Edited by scarlett, 28 December 2004 - 08:07 PM.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Bulldog

Bulldog

• Members
  • 394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 29 December 2004 - 11:10 AM

Wow.... :flowers: thats some cool info.

Maybe in 100 years there will be :thumbsup:
bulldogsmall6ma.jpg

"And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." - Abe Lincoln

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2004 - 11:37 AM

Very good!

I want to add this to my site.........

you get credit!

#4 LoLucky

LoLucky

• Members
  • 331 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2004 - 04:18 PM

Very nice post Scarlett

Maybe in 100 years there will be :flowers:

Umm... Bulldog i sure as heck hope you mean WON'T be :thumbsup:

#5 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 29 December 2004 - 08:05 PM

Funny you should mention that. I think the can of :thumbsup: has a shelflife of 100 years anyway.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2004 - 12:59 AM

"Two of 10 U.S. adults couldn't read or write."

Well THAT has not changed much.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 Bulldog

Bulldog

• Members
  • 394 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2004 - 02:27 PM

"Two of 10 U.S. adults couldn't read or write."

Well THAT has not changed much.
Cheers,
John

My thoughts exactly. I almost mad that point but I'm glad you did.

Umm... Bulldog i sure as heck hope you mean WON'T be   :inlove:

LoLucky, I went by the facial expression of the smilie, he doesn't look happy to me so I thought he was "protesting" SPAM. But yes I hope in 100 years there will be no SPAM, and with the B.C. fourms helping the way they do, we are definantly heading in that direction.

:trumpet: :thumbsup: :flowers:

Edited by Bulldog, 30 December 2004 - 02:28 PM.

bulldogsmall6ma.jpg

"And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." - Abe Lincoln

#8 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2004 - 02:35 PM

Lol I'm just soooo very glad that I do not have to use Borax (?) or egg yolks to wash my hair. :thumbsup: Yuck Double Yuck
Posted Image

#9 Bulldog

Bulldog

• Members
  • 394 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2004 - 02:39 PM

Marijuana, heroin, and morphine were all available over the counter
at corner drugstores.

That give a whole new meaning to the word drug store.

Or maybe our meaning of a drug store is the new meaning.

they sold pot at drug stores 100 years ago... and now they don't..... are we advancing or regressing..... they don't sell VIOXX..... so they don't sell VIOXX because the chemicals in the drug are dangerous....pot is a plant not a chemical.... the government could tax pot and make money like they do on tabacco.... but i don't smoke pot so why do i care......

I need to stop thinking sorry....don't know where that was going.

:thumbsup: :flowers:

Edited by Bulldog, 30 December 2004 - 02:40 PM.

bulldogsmall6ma.jpg

#10 LoLucky

LoLucky

• Members
  • 331 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2004 - 02:55 PM

I need to stop thinking sorry....don't know where that was going.

Yes thinking is very bad! bad dog bad J/K!

Hey one thing you forgot is there was no computers back then. now thats "Yuck Double Yuck" or if they did it wouldn't be in front of you now. I sure has heck hope technology would have advanced that much since then. if they had computers then. (yes i know makes no sense I like bulldog forgot where i was going with it LOL)

i shudder to think what computers/technology will be like in 100 years from now. (or do i mean drool?)

See thinking does this strage thing it make the hole in your head have less space VERY BAD!

Edited by LoLucky, 30 December 2004 - 02:59 PM.

#11 Notorious

Notorious

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2004 - 03:32 PM

they sold pot at drug stores 100 years ago... and now they don't.....
:thumbsup:      :trumpet:

They do here in Holland.. Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Only now we call it Coffee Shop instead of drug store.. :inlove: :flowers: :cool:
Posted Image

Down in the bayou, Bubba called an attorney and asked, "Is it true they're suin' the cigarette companies for causing people to get cancer?
"Sure is Bubba. But why you asking?"
"Cause what I want to know is, I was thinking, can I sue Budweiser for all them ugly women I've slept with?"

#12 georgia

georgia

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2004 - 04:24 PM

:flowers: This is in reference to Scarlett's summary post!!!!

yes, interesting article. My father lived to the year 2000 with us and had his full faculties and was able to enjoy his hobbies of music, guitar and piano and read his national geographic magazines, sports and the international news of the world as well as environmental shows on the tv. He passed at the age of 100.
Being born the same year as the late Queen Mother, he lived through the vicious flu epidemic that killed many countrymen/women in 1919 and then of course this was followed up by the economic hardships of the "Dirty 30's" as the years were labelled...where basic necessities were hard to find and priced out of the means of a blue collar worker. Then there was the second world war which we are able to reflect upon, with many of our ancestors lost "in the supreme sacrifice"; tragic however we would not be enjoying democratic communication internationally on the little boxes in front of us if it were not for our forefathers.
The Russians had Juri Gagaron in their outer space efforts along with the US in the space race circa 1960's. I have a collectible record of the russian astronauts dialogue of his communication that was issued from his space craft at that time, it is great to look back on these pioneer events and look at where we are now. Who would imagine a man taking "first steps for mankind on the moon".
The Berlin Wall came down, but there still exists tensions in that country. The Ukraine is fraught with internal strife with its counterparts and yet Russia went through tremendous transformations. Then probably one of the Greatest sorrows of human kind that touched the world in one way or another.... "911" a devastating day for the world as a whole. And an incorrigible way to start the early years of the 21st century.
Now we have mother nature who determines our destiny, reminding us of how we sometimes take life far too for granted and that we should enjoy each day as it comes and respect one another's differences no matter what the culture.
I believe that the fundamental purpose of this festive season that some of us celebrate is here for us to indeed partake in celebration but also in appreciation of what we have and what we can give; not only as countries but also as members of society.
This entry into the 21st Century is our chance to make a difference as our forefathers have done, and while doing this...." stop and smell" the roses as with all of our technological advancements we sometimes forget that it is important to take the time to visit, phone and have direct contact with family and friends.
I remember growing up enjoying games at this festive season with the rest of the family around a table exchanging stories, jokes and laughter.
This time of sharing together seems to be struggling for its existence now as the generations of our future remove themselves to their computer to partake in games and head sets with mp3's, portable dvd's, play station etc. Cell phones with the photo capability and computers with cam's attached appears to be the 21st century's attempt to keep our ever changing times in touch.
This is good but I don't think anything can replace the human touch when you sit down and write a letter or go across to the neighbour's for a visit ;have lunch with friends etc. Especially since the speed at which we live is accelerating so fast that these niceties of the past seem to now exist as luxury happenings.
For me that is why I find getting together with some family and best friends to celebrate the New Year a way of starting the next year in a personal and cohesive expression of our bonds; while we retain the celebration of Christmas with a focus on our children, the future of our humanity. With the belief that life is to be viewed in a positive future sense and that history is why we are here
I wish everyone the best of the spirit in 2005 and that the world will grow closer together with less tragedies and more goodwill.
Tomorrow, I will start the day as I always do with a smile, and most especially try to spread some good Karma and surround myself with the same!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:
Cheers for "two thousand and five" to you and yours.

Edited by georgia, 30 December 2004 - 04:31 PM.

Talent is a flame. Genius is a fire.

#13 JackTheHaack

JackTheHaack

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 31 December 2004 - 09:36 PM

georgia :thumbsup: Thats one of the best posts I've ever read....well done.

Boy we have some incredible ppl here at B.C.
JTH

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users