Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suggested Safe Practices

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 17 December 2006 - 09:36 AM

Having had more than my fair share of experience with viruses and spyware recently, here's the 2 tips that I give all my customers:

1 - Never click on anything that pops up on your screen unexpectedly. Just right click on the application (usually it's Internet Explorer) in the Task Bar and select "Close" from there. Alternatively, press Alt and F4 simultaneously in order to close the active window. Still another alternative is to use Task Manager (Ctrl - Alt - Del) to close the offending program.

The reason for this is that the "bad guys" can make the window say anything that they want. For example, they can make the little X in the upper right corner of the window (normally used to close a window) actually install the bad stuff on your system.

2 - Don't ever, ever open any email! Yeah, that's a bit extreme - but the bad guys can fake an email from your best friend and you'd never know it until you checked with your friend.

So, always suspect emails with attachments - they're where most of the damage is done. It doesn't matter if it 's just a picture, or if it's a strange file that you have no idea about - they can all be infected with viruses. If you open one, make sure that your anti-virus and anti-spyware programs are running and scanning.

The best way is to "preview" your emails before opening them. Using web-based email, read the text before deciding if the attachment is from someone safe. For email on your computer, use a "screener" like the free program MailWasher (I like this one so much that I bought the Pro version). It'll allow you to read the first 20 lines of an email without downloading it - and you can delete the bad one's by using it's interface.

Edited by usasma, 17 December 2006 - 09:36 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 20 November 2007 - 09:23 AM

good point usasma, i know as of late i have been seeing alot of the popus that have an embedded X to close the popup and once you click it will either open a new browser or send junk to your cookies from trackign to even spyware.Alt F4 is the way to go.

this is a very valid point ; I recently 'worked' on a very badly infected computer ; the owner and the child felt something was wrong when strange web pages appeared on their computer ( needless to say the child had been using P2P stuff); to close the popups' windows they too clicked on the X in the corner; by so doing matters went from bad to worse and worse and worse..........

their delay in seeking help and continued use OF the P2P stuff until I met it , and saw for myself what WAS happening meant that ,despite input and guidance from experts ON getting rid of this rubbish to try to clean it , eventually proved to be impossible and a complete reformat and reinstall was required :thumbsup:

so, X marks the spot where preferably NOT to go on pop-ups :flowers:

#3 honu1

honu1

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 16 December 2007 - 10:50 AM

I'll definitely keep this post of yours printed up for future reference. Had to take my CPU in as it kept shutting itself off.
Seems I was infected with virus,spyware+a rootkit(whatever that is).

Thank's for all your helpful input here at B.C.

honu1
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

#4 Turnips

Turnips

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 01 January 2008 - 05:25 AM

is it safe to right-click the..er..program on the taskbar to close it?
(just tell me if you don't get what I mean..I dunno how to explain my point).

#5 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 01 January 2008 - 12:42 PM

Hi Turnips,

According to item #1 in usasma's post, that's a safe method. I definitely trust him. :thumbsup:

#6 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 05 January 2008 - 02:51 AM

Absolutely fantastic usasma :flowers:
You always provide terrific advice as well as the other members of BC :thumbsup:

Teenage.Zombiee is back ! :halloween:

#7 Guest_Pivopija_*

Guest_Pivopija_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 26 January 2008 - 06:38 PM

Nice post, I like it. Most of that thing we all know but always do the wrong thing, this is good note for future.

#8 JJ2K

JJ2K

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 08:56 AM

Thanks for the point number 1.

I was often in deliberation when i'd recieve a popup which would say "Yes" or "no" buttons, I would usually click the X as quickly as possible. However after your advice I will use Alt + F4.
This would explain why sometimes a site would go popup crazy and i'd then find an infected computer afterwards I guess. I always thought the X was safe, guess i'm wrong!

#9 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 09:19 AM

Thanks for pt1.. I never knew it made a difference Between X and Alt+F4. I'll keep that in mind when I get pop-ups.
Who said I couldn't have everything?

#10 Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 02:19 PM

Glad to have found this topic. It seems that some of the new malware targets task manager, too, and the pop-up never appears in the applications window, having bypassed that window entirely. Some of these pop-ups lock up the screen entirely and block all other applications. They also do not permit the application to be closed from the desk tray.

Is there a panic button option that would allow quick shut-down of certain applications without doing undue damage to the pc? One that is easy to remember and/or to set up?

Edited by fuzzywuzzy6, 08 March 2009 - 02:21 PM.

#11 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 02:37 PM

Is there a panic button option that would allow quick shut-down of certain applications without doing undue damage to the pc? One that is easy to remember and/or to set up?

I was told by a Techie, to press the restart button,on the front of the Tower,if this happens.(Not the ON/OFF Button)
I have used this method, on a number of occassions,and worked a treat.
I would like USASMA'S advice, on the safety aspect of this method.Thanks.

#12 Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 09:30 PM

That alt + F4 works like a charm, at least part of the time. It all depends on how many applications and pop-ups are attempting to start up at the same time. Wonder if some of the pop-up/task manager problem is applications compatibility issues, as well as malware. (And yes, I am receiving help in the appropriate forum.)

#13 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:49 PM

I do not know of one in Windows but ZoneAlarm has a feature to immediately stop all internet activity that should take care of any damage coming from the internet. Other firewalls probably have a similar feature

#14 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:52 PM

I was told by a Techie, to press the restart button,on the front of the Tower,if this happens.(Not the ON/OFF Button)
I have used this method, on a number of occassions,and worked a treat.
I would like USASMA'S advice, on the safety aspect of this method.Thanks.

Since you made a distinction between the reset and on/off button, I have to ask, what if you do not have a reset button, only an on/off button? My system only has the on/off button.

#15 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 07:24 AM

Both my Computers do have this reset Button.The back up Computer only has an on/off.
Was asking whether it was safe practice to use it, without causing Damage.
Good to remember all advice offered,especially from USASMA. :thumbsup:

EDIT.Sometimes I right click quickly, on that baby Icon,in the top far left corner, and click close.
Found that works often,as well.

Edited by DSTM, 10 March 2009 - 07:44 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users