Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Don't Have A Clue

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mojobrad

mojobrad

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 17 December 2006 - 08:45 AM

I've read around and can't work out my problem.

The computer takes ages to boot up and then it runs slowly.

Don't know what to do really. Can anyone help?

P.S. I have run autorun but it doesn't show the status ie the flags that are mentioned in the tutorial

Edited by mojobrad, 17 December 2006 - 08:55 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 17 December 2006 - 10:16 AM

A good place to begin investigating the cause of the problem is this BC pinned topic:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/44694/slow-computer/

This lists in descending order the important causes of slow booting and slow computers. My suggestion is that you work through the list, and post in the appropriate forums any questions or problems you might have as you go.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 17 December 2006 - 10:26 AM

A more concise and clearly written list:

http://computercleanup.blogspot.com/

#4 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 17 December 2006 - 11:25 AM

May I inquire in what way it is more concise and clearly?I have seen you suggesting this place more often and could not see why

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,542 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 17 December 2006 - 05:59 PM

I am interested in known why yours is much better as well? Quite honestly the site you provide gives hardly and information at all. This your site? Should I be concerned you are using my forum to spam your site to?

We generally allow people to promote their sites...but only when the site is useful. The information at the site you link to is spare indeed.

#6 mojobrad

mojobrad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 19 December 2006 - 07:12 AM

Thanks for the replies guys.

Just for the record I'm using the Bleeping computer site to help me. I've used this site before and it's been excellent.

I'm part of the way through trying to sort out my computer. I can't defragment yet because I only have 3% space on my hard drive. This is an historical problem I think from when I reformatted my hard drive but wanted to save folders and so added the operating system a second time. Big mistake really.

So I'm thinking that I might nede to save my files somehow and then reformat the hard drive so getting rid of the two operating systems and loading just one.

Anyway I'll be back before reformatting just to see if there's anything else that I can do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users